From the time you are 10 weeks pregnant until term, most of your baby's changes will be targeted towards their growth and maturity. Essentially, they are a miniature version of how they will be at birth - only much smaller of course. All of their organs have almost completely formed now and are being primed to support independent life when they are born close to 40 weeks.
The chances of your baby developing a physical deformity after week 10 of pregnancy are reduced. But, it is still important to be ultra careful throughout the rest of your pregnancy.
10 weeks pregnant symptoms
- You don’t miss out on being compared again with a piece of fruit this week, or to be more exact, your uterus doesn’t. When you are 10 weeks pregnant your uterus is the size of a grapefruit.
- More thickening around your middle this week with your 10 weeks pregnant belly. Those elasticised pants and skirts are still getting a workout. This is the time when you may be getting a "muffin top" but instead of it being due to overeating, it’s because of a little muffin on the inside.
- No big news on the nausea front, still a common 10 weeks pregnant symptom. Keep that ice-cream container handy for when your stomach isn’t being too cooperative. Stick with bland, easy to digest foods.
Common concerns at 10 weeks pregnant
It could be hard to see the end in sight of your 1st trimester. The first is seen by many women to be the hardest of the 3 trimesters, simply because the symptoms of early pregnancy can be so draining. Some women feel they can relax a little from week 10, the likelihood of miscarrying is reducing and excitement starts to creep in. Is it too early to start buying baby things? Should we tell other people now? Will the baby be ok? These and a million other questions will are completely normal at 10 weeks pregnant.
You might need to excuse yourself from polite company around this time in your pregnancy. Flatus, wind, gas whatever you like to call it, will creep up on you at the least convenient times. Having more wind is a common but little discussed symptom of pregnancy. It isn’t helped by some foods, beans, green leafy vegetables, bran and high fibre cereals can all be main offenders.
You might find yourself becoming more superstitious than usual. Try to balance reality and science with a bit of healthy fun. Most women have their own favourite stories when it comes to sharing their pregnancy and childbirth experiences. Learn to filter what you don’t want to hear.
Dream on. Pregnancy is a time when dreams take on a whole new dimension. Dreams are just one way of filtering our subconscious thoughts and getting rid of unnecessary information gathered throughout the day.
You could start mentally organising your work commitments from around week 10. Your entitlements tomaternity leave how long you want to have off work and the practicalities of coping on one wage will occupy some of your thinking time.
You may be feeling a bit drab and flat just now. You’re still not obviously pregnant with a 10 week pregnant belly but are probably looking like you’re carrying some extra weight. Don’t deny yourself simple pleasures which make you feel good. A massage, hairdressing appointment, a shopping trip, can all rejuvenate and boost a flagging mood.
10 week pregnant baby changes
- Time for the usual size comparison with fruit; this week your baby is the size of a prune or a cumquat.
- Your baby’s fingers and toes are clearly formed by week 10 and they are developing finger and toe nails. Your baby can bend its limbs this week, at its elbows and is able to flex its wrists.
- Your baby’s kidneys are filtering their blood and producing urine this week. They are also secreting digestive juices in their stomach, getting ready for dealing with the amniotic fluid they’ll be swallowing soon.
- If your baby is a boy, his testicles are already producing testosterone, the all important male sex hormone.
- Your baby’s head is still large in proportion to the rest of its body, but from 10 weeks is has a neck and all of the bones in its face are formed. This means that you would be able to see their features much more clearly with an ultrasound at this stage.
- A layer of fine hair called lanugo is now covering your baby’s body. Their inner and outer ear, tooth buds and eyes are all fully developed.
Tips for 10 weeks pregnant
Do some experimenting with herbal teas in place of your usual caffeinated tea and coffee. They are generally healthier and a pleasant alternative.
Try to increase your milk and calcium intake this week. Your baby’s tooth buds are forming now so any foods high in this important nutrient will have a positive effect on your baby’s teeth. Avoid any infections at 10 weeks pregnant which may increase your temperature and the risk of problems with your baby’s tooth development.
Keep a supply of snacks on hand for those moments when you’re feeling dizzy. Because of the challenges in eating properly now, your blood sugar could be low at times.
Is my baby fully formed now?
A ten week foetus has all of the baby’s vital organs where they should be. For the remainder of the pregnancy, they will continue to mature and develop in preparation for extra-uterine life.
I feel dizzy when I stand up quickly, is that normal?
Try not to stand up too quickly if you’ve been sitting down for a while. Give your body time to adjust your blood pressure as you stand.
Written for Huggies by Jane Barry Midwife and Child Health Nurse on 29/04/20.
Always consult your physician before beginning any exercise program. To reduce the risk of injury, never force or strain yourself during exercise. If you feel pain, stop and seek medical attention if necessary.
If you are in week 10 of your pregnancy...
Your baby's due date: March 23 - April 04, 2022
Baby's star sign: Aries
Chinese year: Tiger
Famous people born around your baby's birth date:
- Vincent Van Gogh
- Eddie Murphy
- Celion Dion
Last Published* November, 2021
*Please note that the published date may not be the same as the date that the content was created and that information above may have changed since.