Celebrate your toilet training success by downloading your very own customisable graduation certificate. Click on your choice below to get started.
There's no official finish line for potty training.
No matter what you've read, there certainly isn t a fast track to underwear! Your toddler sets the pace.And with patience, encouragement and your helpful coaching, toilet training will all fall into place for you and your toddler.
Fewer accidents and better control or holding it during the day gets easier. It's right about this time, that you'll approach the closest thing there is to a finish line, the move to cloth underwear!Here are some ideas to get your toddler prepared and excited about making the move to undies
Three Steps to Introducing Underwear!
- Talk about getting to cloth underwear from the beginning of the toilet training process. It's a great motivator for kids who want to be a big kid !
- Explain that cloth underwear this is what older kids wear every day.
- As you near the home stretch, go on a shopping trip together and pick out that first lot of cloth underwear. Let your toddler choose their favourites. Tuck them away for someday before you know it, that day will be here.
Note the Similarities
- Keep reminding your toddler of the similarities between training pants and the underwear bigger kids wear.
- Show how they go on and off.
- Point out the difference between front and back .
Note how the designs look so similar. Take your toddler s supply out of the bag and put them into a dresser drawer; just like you would with underwear.
No Going Back!
- Once you've got your toddler psyched up about the idea of Nappy-Pants and how they're so much like underwear, going back to nappies during the day is like going back to baby stuff .
All by Myself...
- Parents can use the pants up and down milestone to re-motivate children for the last stages of toilet training.
- Let toddlers practice their on's and off's on their own so they'll be ready for the real deal.
- As your toddler gains more and more independence, resist the temptation to do it for them. Watching your toddler struggle to get it right may be frustrating when you're running late for work, but try to keep your hands in your pockets and your eyes off the clock for the sake of your eager learner.
Taking the Plunge
- There may be a few false starts with moving from Nappy-Pants to cloth undies
- Once you and your child are confident that they can hold on for a reasonable period of time from when they first feel the urge to need to go to the toilet then they're probably ready to take the plunge into wearing underwear full time!
Remember if they happen to fall back to old habits, Huggies has information on
toilet training problems such as regression, resistance and accidents. We hope you won t run into any of these and your little one will remain toilet trained for good!
Last Published* November, 2021
*Please note that the published date may not be the same as the date that the content was created and that information above may have changed since.