Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. When do they sit themselves up?

When do they sit themselves up? Lock Rss

My DD is 7 1/2 months old and has been sitting unassisted since 5 months, however when she flops backwards, she cant get herself back up into the sitting position. She is a very reluctant roller, she will roll from her back to her side but very rarely onto her tummy (hates it) Is there any way to help her learn to get back into the sitting position .. or is it something that they learn a bit later down the track with standing etc? At the moment she rarely falls backwards but when she does if i leave her to figure it out she either cries with frustration or just lies there continuing play..

Im not overly concerned as iknow she will get there eventually, its just to help her and me along smile

Any advice?
from memory i think DS1 was around 8 months when he figured it out. he would roll onto his side and then push himself up with his arms. i was really surprised when he just did it one day! it will happen all of a sudden when you least expect it!

from memory i think DS1 was around 8 months when he figured it out. he would roll onto his side and then push himself up with his arms. i was really surprised when he just did it one day! it will happen all of a sudden when you least expect it!

He's sooo cute, thats a lovely pic smile
Babies shouldn't be able to sit unassisted until they are crawling. (lie, roll, crawl then sit) once they can crawl they can get into the sitting possition very easy on their own. If you sit your baby on its bum you are not letting them sit unassisted as you have said because you have put them into this possiton.

my advice if you want it is.... pop your baby on their back with their toys and they will roll, then get confident on their tummy reaching out to toys. then they will begin to move on their own eventually learning to crawl then they will learn to sit, pull themselves up to walk around funiture..... by not sitting your baby you are incouraging crawling which helps with reading and writing , left and right brain movement when they go to school

left to their own pace they will amaze you how clever they are. especially doing it on their own
I agree with subzero, they do not sit unassisted until they are crawling, and by propping her up you are actually delaying that step.

Put her on her tummy on the floor and she will soon learn to roll better (especially if she hates her tummy), then crawl, then sit herself up

I agree with subzero, they do not sit unassisted until they are crawling, and by propping her up you are actually delaying that step.

Put her on her tummy on the floor and she will soon learn to roll better (especially if she hates her tummy), then crawl, then sit herself up

Although a certain theory may say this it isn't always the case.
My DD (now 6 months) is able to sit herself up and still isn't crawling. Yes, she was allowed to sit before she could get herself up but I do not see anything wrong with that. DD was always grumpy lying flat on her back in the pram so as soon as she was old enough we sat her up a little (half way between sitting and lying) where she starting pulling herself up from roughly 3 1/2 months and has kept progressing since.

As with everything else each baby is different and just because one baby (or one theory) does things in a certain order doesn't mean all babies will.

My DD (now 6 months) is able to sit herself up and still isn't crawling. Yes, she was allowed to sit before she could get herself up but I do not see anything wrong with that. DD was always grumpy lying flat on her back in the pram so as soon as she was old enough we sat her up a little (half way between sitting and lying) where she starting pulling herself up from roughly 3 1/2 months and has kept progressing since.

As with everything else each baby is different and just because one baby (or one theory) does things in a certain order doesn't mean all babies will.

if your baby was pulling herself up at 3.5 months into the sitting position this actually surprises me. If you have actually read pikler theory you would see that its actually common sense rather than being prompted by the old "can your baby sit yet:" I guess if you want your child to be sitting you will do this. I actually want my babies to crawl which stimulates left and right brain development.

if you have new research on sitting a baby on their bottoms that will stimulate crawling and left and right brain development while sitting i would read it. but as yet i have failed to come across any information on this topic. Child Development is my job and so far this theory has been the most infomative one for the respect of babies, learning at their own pace. If parents would like to sit them and put them in walkers that is up to the parents. I am only giving my personal experience and knowledge that i have and what is trying to be fostered with mums and babies, pre school, and early childhood centres across New Zealand.

crawling is an important step for children when they get to school as it helps promote left and right brain which is the key to reading and writing.
Theroy..... I like many ppl wont beleive, they are theroys not an acutal fact...until proven I think its a useless bit of info. (IMO) as pervious posts have said ALL babies are different, and its up to the parents how their child is going to be raised.
My DD was sitting by herself from 4 months. she didnt like being on her back or tummy so I guess she decided it was time to try something different!

if your baby was pulling herself up at 3.5 months into the sitting position this actually surprises me. If you have actually read pikler theory you would see that its actually common sense rather than being prompted by the old "can your baby sit yet:" I guess if you want your child to be sitting you will do this. I actually want my babies to crawl which stimulates left and right brain development.

if you have new research on sitting a baby on their bottoms that will stimulate crawling and left and right brain development while sitting i would read it. but as yet i have failed to come across any information on this topic. Child Development is my job and so far this theory has been the most infomative one for the respect of babies, learning at their own pace. If parents would like to sit them and put them in walkers that is up to the parents. I am only giving my personal experience and knowledge that i have and what is trying to be fostered with mums and babies, pre school, and early childhood centres across New Zealand.

crawling is an important step for children when they get to school as it helps promote left and right brain which is the key to reading and writing.

By saying my DD was starting to pull herself up at 3 1/2 months that is exactly what I meant. She was not capable of it at that age but that is when she started..at first reaching to try grab the bar and pull herself up, then accomplishing this and now getting herself up without the help of the bar.

I was putting my opinion out there and feel you are being very judgemental on how I am choosing to raise my child. I have never said that I don't think crawling is important. My daughter has plenty of time on her tummy and back and is always encourages when she gets a step closer to crawling. But my DD also hates to be lying down and has therefor learnt how to be comfortable on her own.

And as for wanting new information on "sitting a baby on their bottoms that will stimulate crawling". My DD comes far closer to crawling by leaning forward sitting up the she does from lying down. She hates being on her tummy and puts more effort into crying then trying to move. Each child is different, this is how she is learning and there is NOTHING wrong with that!

Just because you believe the pickler theory is "common sense" it is just a theory not solid fact, you do not need to be putting other mothers down just because they don't believe the same as you!
sub zero you sound a bit preachy.. you may like to do things by " the book " but it doesnt always work my daughter is nearly 4 months and like A.W.S child, mine is doing sort of like a crunch to get herself into more of a sitting position when on her back. so not all babies do things by the book. all the doctors were very suprised at how strong she was only hours after her birth.

Oh, I agree with that too, my babies have always loved sitting upright in the pram, highchair and on my lap. DS has gotten alot of balance sitting by himself on my lap. However the OP had bub on the floor, and she couldn't get up again after falling over. I don't believe bub should be sat on the floor until they do have the skills to sit themselves up there, and get up again after falling, which usually doesn't come until after crawling.
my daughter was around 5and a half months when she started crawling so i think it was somewhere around then she started sitting up as well.
Sign in to follow this topic