Indian Milking, Pitstop, Turn & Caress Massage
This routine of 3 baby massage strokes is designed to soothe and relax little arms and hands. They feel wonderful and are a great way to help baby to let go of any physical tension.
Even the most laid back babies can get fretful when tired, hungry or in unfamiliar surroundings, so this is a very useful routine to have in your baby massage and yoga repertoire.
Indian milking, pitstop, turn & caress massage step by step
Softly talk to your baby throughout this routine, explaining what you’re doing and encouraging them to release any tension in their upper body.
- For these exercises, sit loosely cross-legged on your yoga mat or rug, with your baby lying in front of you
- Begin by asking baby’s permission to start. Then chant Om 3 times
- Start on baby’s left side and then repeat all the strokes to baby’s right side
- With hand and arm strokes it’s best to position your baby side on so their left arm is nearest to you
- Drop a little oil into your palms and rub together
- Hold baby’s hand in yours
- Use your other hand to make scooping strokes from the waist to the armpit
- Repeat several times
- Make a “C” shape of both hands by touching your index finger to your thumb
- Stroke down baby’s left arm, starting from the shoulder down towards the wrist
- Put some extra oil on your palms
- Place your hands together, the index finger of one hand touching the little finger of the other hand
- Gently and firmly move forward and back from baby’s shoulder to risk, making sure your elbows are moving away from and then towards your body
- Remember to chat to your baby while you do this stroke. Check their body language for cues so you know they’re enjoying the massage
- Turn baby around so the right arm is nearest to you
- Repeat these massages strokes to baby’s right side, beginning with pitstop, then Indian milking, and lastly turn & caress
- Finish by taking your baby’s arm and whispering soothing words to help him or her release any tension
Next try open hand
Return to full list of baby massage & yoga videos