Huggies Forum

Anyone from Darwin? Rss

Hi I'm new to Darwin and also new to this site. Wouldn't mind getting to know a few people just for a chat. I'm 24 with a 12 month old son & also TTC at the moment. And I love living in Darwin!

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Kristina,
I'm also fairly new to the area. We got here mid Dec and moved into a house end of Dec 03
I have an almost 13month old son. I also have an almost 9 year old DD.
I don't mind Darwin but don't think I love it yet. Where have you moved from? Are you married? What does your partner do?
Hope to hear from you.
I just found this site (parents exchange).
Cya, Cara

Melbourne, 13 yr DD, 5.5 yr DS, 1.5 yr DS

We got here just after Xmas and got a house two weeks after that. We moved here from Perth. I'm Married and Hubby is in the Mining industry so works two weeks away from home & then has a week off. How abut you?

Tell you what it's been pretty humid lately!

It's been pretty good cos I've found a playgroup to take James to and the local library has storytime twice a week, so this gets us out and about a bit. We're living in Brinkin (renting a townhouse), where abouts are you?

Chatch ya Later,

Kristina

Hi Kristina,
Gee it must be hard for you and James not having your hubby around for 2 weeks but I guess the bonus is him being home for a week to make up for it and being able to see James 24/7 when he is home.
My Hubby is in the Army so I know what it's like to have him away ALOT. Although this move up here will keep him home which will be a nice change. 1st time in 8 years he won't be away for months on end.

Yeah it has been pretty warm. We came from Brisbane area so it gets pretty humid there at times but not this humid. It gets alot hotter in temp than here though.

Yeah I also have a playgroup I take my son to but may see about the one at the Toy Library to as I hear that's pretty good. I've heard about the story time but haven't been to them yet.

We live @ Larrakeyah on the base.
Well I better stop taking up so much space and sign off. smile
Cara

I go to the playgroup at the Toy Library, it is good as we get to use any of the big toys we want, they have heaps of stuff. And there is probably 4 or 5 kids around the age of 1 and some younger ones as well. It's held on Fridays from 10am to 12pm. Alison is the name of the lady that runs it and I'm sure she would be happy to welcome you in.

They have storytimes at all the different libraries on different days, Casuarina is Mon & Wed from 10am. They read a story then sing a song (do that twice) and then afterwards the kids get to play with all the toys & puzzles. Only thing with having a one year old is that all they want to do is throw the puzzle pieces around while the older kids are actually trying to put them together!

My Hubbys roster is good while I'm not working anyway, as we do get the whole week together. We are hoping to do quite a bit of camping & stuff like that when the dry season starts. Are you into camping or 4wding much?

It must have been pretty hard for you & the kids to have your Hubby away for long periods of time. Mine was away for 7 weeks not that long after James was born & it seemed like an eternity. I find two weeks is much more managable, but wouldn't like to go any longer than that!

I usually get on the net every few days or so, just to let you know.

And might see you at the playgroup some time.

If you prefer my email address is tkattwood@optusnet.com.au

Kristina

Hi guys,

Yet another "newie" to Darwin. We also moved from Brisbane last year and are living at Fairway Waters. Hubby normally works away in construction but we moved to Darwin so we would all be together for the first time since Bailey was 8 months old ( he is 3 next month ). I also like Darwin but cant say I love it. A little boring by after Brizzie but it could have been a lot worse ( like Port Campbell - population 400 ). I ended up going back to work part time as Bailey loves daycare and I think being away from me sometimes as well. My husband is working on the LNG tank and is at work 12 hours per day so it is almost like him being fly in/fly out and I still think he misses out on some of the raising of Bailey.

cheers,

jodi

Mum of Bailey, 3yrs

Hi Jodi,

I know what you mean. When I consider Terry as he would have been in a Mon to Fri type job I think that fly in fly out isn't so bad after all. Everything has advantages and disadvantages when it comes down to it. Just have to make the most of whatever time you have together.

Darwin is like the kind of place you would go on holiday. So I'll enjoy it and make the most of it while I'm not working. It's just a nice environment to live in, and go for walks to the beach etc without worrying about it being too cold. (But Brizzy is like that anyway). And so far it's has some good activities to get involved in with James.

I feel that it's a place I could settle down in.

So how long have you been here? Settling in ok?

Kristina

Hi Jodi!
Yes I know what you mean when you compare Darwin to Brisbane but it's not too bad. You REALLY have to go out and look for things and I must admit we've found alot we are interested in and things to do so not too bad but I don't LOVE it either.
As a matter of fact a few times this week I've thought the move the WORST thing possible! But then I get over it! LOL
Sorry to hear your hubby still not "HOME" alot. It's hard isn't it?!
It's good you got some work and able to "get away" from things and for Bailey to be able to aswell. Mine's to young to do that YET!
Well that's my whinge for now!
Cara

Little quiet in here these days.
What's everyone up 2?
Cara

hi im a 21 year old mum with a 9 week old who wants a walking partner in Darwin im in the nightcliff area and i would also like to meet other mums to catch up or go to playgroup together
anyone interested?

green_ant83@yahoo.com

SA mum with baby jacob 20th sep 04

Hi Antoinette,
We are in Darwin so not far away. I don't get out that way very often as I usually go to Casuarina.
We used to do the coffee thing in at the Mitchell Centre or out as Casuarina to catch up but now it's such a busy time of year.
I'd be happy to meet sometime. Not sure when with hols and all that as I have an almost 2yr old and an almost 10yr old but I'm sure something can be worked out.
Cara

cara,
thanks for your reply yeah i know the chrissy period is really busy but mabey after all that we could catch up casuarina is close so if you wanted to meet there one day that would be nice!
How old are you?
antoinette

SA mum with baby jacob 20th sep 04

Sign in to follow this topic