Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. QLD
  5. Gold Coast Hospital

Gold Coast Hospital Rss

Hi Ladies,

This isnt my first birth but it will be my first on the Gold Coast at the GC Hospital and I was wondering if anyone had recent experience with the GC Hospital Maternity system? Including antenatal care, labour ward (im walking in backwards for an epidural so the birth centre prob doesnt count for me lol) and after care. We live outside the early discharge area (by about 5kms) so are not eligible for the early release program, so just wondering what i can expect? Im due 2nd April next year and am not even sure if i will be birthing at the current or new Hospital! Can anyone shed some light? Thanks in advance smile

Me 41 DH 43
DD 22 - Reg Nurse on her way to becoming a midwife
DD 19 - 2nd year uni in Nursing
DSS 15 - High School
DS 14 - High School
DD 13 - High School
DD 2 - Little Princess

Hi I had DD 4 years ago so not recent but a lot of my friends have had recent experiences and they say the same.

I had dual care with my doctor up until 38 weeks and then was referred to the "cattle market" aka the antenatal clinic. We were there 4 hours each time as it was packed full of pregnant ladies, they had to give us a letter to give to the council I case we overstayed our car park pay meters. I unfortunately was not given a urine protein test ( which i had no clue i was supposed to have as she was my first)and i ended up with Undiagnosed per eclampsia .

But..... The care prior to my caesarean and afterwards on the wards was awesome and we were there 10 days , we could not fault the maternity ward nurses they were so lovely, caring and professional.

So all in all a great experience And would definately have my second there if we decide!!

HTH, all the best for the rest of your pregnancy.

Ps you are going to have plenty of babysitters, wow bub is so lucky with all his/her siblings x
Thanks Goofyrocks! Ive heard that its a very long wait for antenatal appts so im going to opt for shared care with my GP and hopefully avoid the hospital clinic unless necessary. In the past Ive always had full hospital care due to a few things but im pretty sure that this time i'll be ok to see my GP or ive even heard you can see a midwife at some outreach clinics which i would be fine with as well. Im hoping i will birth in the new hospital but i have a feeling i may just miss out date wise, but all good if the after care is spot on smile

Does anyone else have any experiences/opinions?

Me 41 DH 43
DD 22 - Reg Nurse on her way to becoming a midwife
DD 19 - 2nd year uni in Nursing
DSS 15 - High School
DS 14 - High School
DD 13 - High School
DD 2 - Little Princess

Hello GoofeyRocks.
I had my first baby there in July this year. I had a Cesar & was my first surgery ever. I was so nervous & scared they let me go & see the anasesiet boss (I'm sorry I really can't spell it lol) he was so nice told me everything that would happen & asked me when my c sect was booked in I told him it was the following Monday & he said he would make sure he came in with me. My surgery was great, after care was great. They have breastfeeding classes, there is 4 to a room. The only things that were the down fall was that I had a lady who snored very loudly next to me so I didn't sleep at all! & every antenatal app I was there atleast 45min after my appointment time before I even went in, they were very behind & busy. I was also out of home visits area, I went home exactly 48hrs after my surgery & they linked me up with child health nurses in my area so went to them. Overall I think it was a great hospital & will be going there for future pregnancies. smile good luck!
Sign in to follow this topic