Huggies Forum

Middlemount? Rss

Just wondering if there's anyone from Middlemount area on here?

Dh is looking at mining jobs in the area and trying to suss things out if we have to move the family there. We currently live in SE VIC so its a big move. Never moved more than 30 km away!

We have 3 small girls (4, 2 and nearly 1). Whats the town like for young families and children? And SAHM! Cannot find much on the internet. Swimming pool for lessons? Kinder? Shopping? Restaurants or Take Away (-: Good town to pop the baby in a pram and go for a walk? Parks?

Hi i grew up in middlemount but now live in Mackay (3hours drive away) my dad still works out there and comes in every friday afternoon and goes back out monday mornings.

When my brother and i reached high school my parents decided to move us into Mackay as there is only one school in Middlemount (prep - Year 12) and about 400 kids roughly in total so middlemount is quiet a small mining town with not alot of study or career opportunities.

My personal advise would be to Move to one of the bigger towns ie. Mackay or Rockhampton as by the time your kids get to high school you will probably want them out of the town anyway as there isnt alot to do for teenagers other then drugs and alcohol.

My parents found back in the 80's when they moved there it was a great town to raise a young family but with the mines changing the rosters and not being very family orientated anymore the town has more single men contractors in it than young families, which obviously changes the whole atmosphere of a town of Middlemounts size.

This is just my personal opinion though, i do have friends still living out there that i dont think will ever leave. Before you make a big decision on whether you are going to like it i would spend a few days there first.
Thank you for your reply.

We actually went out there last week, man its a lot of travel when you're 2.5 hours from melbourne! We flew from melbourne to brisbane (1.5 hrs), then waited an hour for a flight to emerald (1.5 hrs), then drove 1.5 hours to Middlemount. Long day! The company paid for us to stay in the hotel for the night and paid for our meal, then the next day I checked out the town while DH went to the mine for 5.5 hours. Needless to say I exhausted the town pretty quickly but was pleasantly surprised! A lot of the feedback I had must have been from people accustomed to cities, whereas we are from a smallish country town anyway. The difference is we have a lot of small towns around so our region has everything you might need/want but Myers! So Middlemount has everything you would need for a day to day basis, everything else you can stock up on in the large towns on a weekend trip or buy online, I guess. And there were quite a few parks which the kids would love.

I also had an appointment with the kinder, where the staff were lovely. I was shocked at the price difference. Not sure if its the shire or QLD in general. We pay $165 per term here, its app $800 there.

I was quite looking forward to seeing the houses and was a bit let down, as they were.. older I guess you'd say... than I was expecting. Not that we're snobs or anything and our house certainly isn't brand new but they were a bit like our cheap commission style houses are here. But its what you make it, and by the time our belongings are in there I'm sure it would feel more like a home.

DH was really happy with the mine, and all the people we meet were lovely. The company paid for us to stay in Brisbane the nest night so we only had to travel from middlemount to emerald to brisbane, then to Melbourne then home the next day which was great. Great? Apart from motion sickness on all 4 flights! argh, awful.

So, DH just got back today from another job offer in Glenden, closer to Mackay. There are aspects of both he likes but I do think we will be moving to one shortly!

Still .. scared?... of the change and leaving behind friends and family but there's the telephone, can fly my mom up for visits, come down once or twice a year and maybe even skype etc (no idea how to do that but still!)Its only the other side of the country, not another country and should mean we have the chance of more quality family time together, with some nice places to visit and a bit more cash to be able to do it! So, gotta think positive about it....

Hi was just wondering how you went with your move did you move to Middlemount or Glenden. We are thinking the same at the moment my hubby has a medical for a job in Middlemount so i have been doing some research to. I had a friend who lived in Middlemount a few years ago and she really liked it she said the school and sporting was really good. We too have been and checked Middlemount out and i thought it was ok. I am interested to see if you have moved there and how you find it. Cheers

Hi was just wondering how you went with your move did you move to Middlemount or Glenden. We are thinking the same at the moment my hubby has a medical for a job in Middlemount so i have been doing some research to. I had a friend who lived in Middlemount a few years ago and she really liked it she said the school and sporting was really good. We too have been and checked Middlemount out and i thought it was ok. I am interested to see if you have moved there and how you find it. Cheers

Hi!!! We just moved last week! So far all the people have been lovely and made us feel really welcome. The girls have been enjoying the many parks that Middlemount has to offer. Still have been busy unpacking, arranging furniture etc. DH has gone to Mackay for 3 days of training this week. I have not been on the internet for a while, what with packing, sorting (decluttering lol), transition between houses and the actual travel up here, so really sorry I have not replied earlier. Have you made a decision re the move?

HI I know this is a bit old but I am also planing to move Middlemount with my Lo.

Dh also got a job opportunity up there and I was wondering hows everything going up there?
Sorry for the late reply but have not been on for ages!

We have been here 2 years now and have found it's a very family friendly town. Lots of activities for the kids and opportunities for mums to meet other mums, such as playgroup, library, kindy gym etc.

It has all your day to day needs but being a small remote town, you often feel the need to get out for a weekend away whether it be for a break or to restock on items you cannot buy here. In saying that. Emerald is 1.5 hrs away and offers much that Middlemount doesn't, such as Big W, Target Country, Coles, Woolworths, McDonalds (lol) etc.

I feel we made a great decision in making the big move here but we would not have known if we didn't take the plunge! Your post was a few months ago so perhaps your decisions are already made but good luck either way!
....also looking at Middlemount. I found out about a new large housing estate that will be ready in the next 6-8 weeks. I think the estate is called "Middlemount Milieu" and is on Centenary Drive North. Lots of brand new houses will be available and I think there will be BBQ facilities on site too! And many will be available for renting as well.
Hi all, I know this is a very old post but I would looove some information on Middlemount? Mel2407 did you find the town a positive place to be with your young child? My DH and I are looking to move there with our young daughter but I have always lived in cities or very large towns so I am a little hesitant! Any info would be amazing!!!
Sign in to follow this topic