Huggies Forum

toxic chemicals in the home Lock Rss

I just wanted to remind parents about the dangers of everyday products in the home which can be exteremely dangerous and sometimes fatal to small children. I heard about a one year old boy who crawled over to the dishwasher while his mum was unloading it. He put his finger in the powder dispenser which had some wet but undissolved powder in it. Within minutes his face was red and his tongue and mouth were burned white. He was rushed to hospital and took a few days to recover. This story sent shivers down my spine because my two year old insists on helping me to unload the dishwasher every morning. He justs gets immense pleasure from doing this. (Give him ten years and that will change!) Sometimes we used to get the powder residue in our dispenser, which I would try to clear out straight away, but I could never be certain that no residue was on the dishes. We have since switched to a liquid detergent which is based on natural ingredients, so my little boy can continue to help me with the dishwasher. You just have to be so careful with litle ones around.

halyna - blue mountains, mum of two

Does anyone else have issues with chemicals in the home? My little one like to put my deoderant on but I caught her about to squeeze the triger with it faced towards her eyes and mouth the other day.... talking about bubba she is very quiet at the moment... better see what she's into...

Whataheart - Girls16/1/00, 28/4/05 & 04/09/08

Sign in to follow this topic