Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. yes baby is now one and starting day care here to chat with all

yes baby is now one and starting day care here to chat with all Rss

Hi everyone, just on the subject of Day Care my little boy has been attending Day Care since he was 2 months old, It wasn't full time and now it is one day per week, although this year i hope to get him for another day so it could be two days per week. He loves it and so do i, I really know and trust the staff that work with him, and we know some of the other parents there. I love knowing that he is happy and content while I'm away. And this is reflected when i pick him up.
I don't think i could have waited untill he was older to return to work, I'm not a sitting at home type of person. Why would you wait to start work??

Mandy, Orange, NSW, 10 mths boy.

I don't think daycare is a bad place, just after working there i know that the staff are wonderful people, but there's only so much you can do when there's 1 of you with 4 babies, all needing one on one care. And the next room up (15 months to 2 years) you can have 1 adult to 6 children, and the ratios just increase until in the 3-5 year room, you can have 12 to just one person. i think that there are too many children with just one staff member. we go to playgroup at the moment 2 days a week, and that suits us. Daycares are good places for children to go to part time, i just feel sorry for the mothers who put 4 week old babies in full time care while they have to go back to work. I'm lucky that i don't have to work.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

JadeH

AS I said I sent my son from the age of 2 to daycare (and I didn't work) & from 2years to 5 years he was there, there was always 1 staff member to 6 kids in all the rooms. So what are you going to do when your child starts school there is 1 teacher to 30 Kids? I am also lucky I don't have to work but these mothers that put there 4 week old babies in daycare they obviously don't have a choice.Does anyone out there agree with me?

Bec
I think we all should remember that we should not get so concerned if another mum chooses to do something different from ourselves. I have my own beliefs and I respect everyone else’s. I don't believe in childcare for kids. I do believe in preschool. I do want desperately to go back to work for my own mental sanity and financial gain, but after doing some research on my own I discovered that when child care children get into kindergarten research has shown that 9 out of 10 of them have behavioural problems. The child who stays at home are more well behaved, attentive, have longer attention spans, learn quicker, are smarter, and the list went on. I really appreciated my mother being at home to take care of me, where as my husbands parents were always working and to busy for him. Now he doesn't feel any connection to them because he said they we never there for him. In the end I think it comes down to what we all think is more important. There are pro's and con's for both sides. Just don’t judge other mums that are different to you. It is important to hear both sides of the story so that we can make a more informed decision.

mum of 3

WHATEVER
EVERYBODY IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION AND THERE IS ABSOLUTLEY NO NEED WHAT SO EVER TO BE SNIDE AND RUDE...
Hi everyone,

Couldn't help seeing that things were getting a bit heated and I think the reason why is because this is such a touchy topic.

Everyone has their opinion and this is perfectly justified. However, as a mum who works full time, it is really difficult not to feel some guilt when you don't stay at home. This is because of either pressures you place on yourself internally or pressures that society places on us.

I think it is really important to remember that as long as you love your child more than anything else and your child is healthy, happy and developing well, it doesn't matter whether they stay home or are in childcare.

I know there are loads of statistics that will either say that kids that stay at home are better adjusted than those in daycare, there are also statistics saying the opposite. At the end of the day, they mean NOTHING. Statistics (for those of you who know anything about maths) can be shaped to prove any theory you wish.

I would love to stay with my son full time but am not going to go into the reasons why I can't. BUT he is the happiest, healthiest most love little kid in the world and he knows it. He is confident and outgoing and still manages to really appreciate the time we spend with him. His favourite people in his entire world are my husband and myself. Day care hasn't hurt him, it hurts me more (because I miss him dreadfully).

So please remember that when people start putting statistics in, they don't mean anything at the end of the day. If you have a choice about staying home or day care then it is your decision alone and no-one has any right to say whether it is right or wrong as every person and situation is different.

Yvette
Yvette,

That was so well said!!! Good on you! I had so many ideas for replying to this topic, but couldn't get it right, without adding fuel the fire, as they say!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

hi i have 3 kids too all boys my youngest is almost 2i would love to chat either here or by email feel to email me on virpikaarina@aol.com

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

IT is all very well for stay-at-home mums to say how they "would never put their child into daycare" but some of us have absolutley no choice in the matter. I am returning to work full time in one months' time - my son will be 7 months old and I amd feeling very depressed and guilty about it - however, I have no alternative. If I do not return to work we simply cannot pay our mortgage. Sure people mught say, why dont you rent? But to even pay that I would have to return to work part time. When I was studying Child Psychology at university I wrote an essay on the long term effects of child care. I read many different studies and they all found the same conclusion - that it is the NATURE OF THE INTERACTIONS that make the bonding relationships between parents and child, NOT the amount of time spent with them. Therefore, if you put your child into daycare and then when you pick them up actually make the effort to play with them and really be involved with them generally, then you will still form a close relationship with them. It would be nice if mothers who had the luxury to sat at home would be a bit more understanding with those of us who are as finanicially well off.
babyoven - this ones for you

Sign in to follow this topic