Huggies Forum

Chat rooms for kids Lock Rss

I know this isn't a topic to do with little ones but I thought I'd ask other mums for their opinions.

My 10 year old daughter has been asking to join a chat room/forums for children her age. I really don't like the idea as you hear so much bad publicity about them. I went to check out the site that she wants to join but we can't access the discussion boards so that I can check out the content until she does join.

Of all of her friends, she is the only one not allowed to go on chat rooms. I feel that by saying no, I'm only trying to do what's best, even though it does disappoint her. Am I being too over protective???

I'm really interested to know what other mums think, even if you don't have children of this age.

Barbara

Barb

Unfortunately there isn't going to be anywhere that is "safe" as any predators that may be in their will be saying they are also 10 years of age.....

maybe for a few times you can sit down with her and join her up so you can see what is going on there. And definately explain to her that she is not to give out her real name age location anything like that.
I saw a special on Oprah about how easy it is to track kids down just from a few things they say in the rooms taht sound soooo insignificant.

I would say trust your gut because it will be right!!! and unfortunately your daughter may have to miss out cos its better to be safe then sorry....

Maybe you could hunt around for some other mums in here with kids her age and they can hook up via email or msn messenger or something????

I have a couple of cousins who might like to chat smile

Or maybe discuss it with her teacher (like in the olden days LOL when our teachers used to organise Penpals from another school) maybe her teacher could contact a school interstate and they could swap email addresses to start off with and start communicating like that then maybe a few of them could start up their own msn group???

Anyway just some thoughts keep me posted

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Steph,

I've decided that as much as it makes me a "mean" mother, I have to do what I think is right and not just "what all the others do."

I hadn't thought about MSN Messenger. That could be a really good idea. If her friends from school get hooked up to that, they could chat to each other without me worrying about the nasties.

It's so hard these days especially when your children say "but everyone else does it". What we could do as kids, isn't safe anymore. My kids love to go muck around down at the creek. I used to do that when I was a kid too, on my own. I would never let my kids go down there. So, I pack up and go too. We usually take a bucket and nets and see what tadpoles and fish we can catch. Usually we end up catching nothing but come home with mud all over our legs and stinking of creek water. But we have the best fun!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions
Barb
Barb - you should change your user id to "meanmum" LOL

When the kids are older they will def look back on those times at the creek with you fondly... even if they think you are a big geek now tongue

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Geez, thanks Steph,

I've never thought of myself as a big geek before. The kids will understand when they are grown up and have their own children. I hope?

Am going for my booking in appointment at the hospital today. Now there's an exciting day out for them!! See, I don't stop my kids from doing everything fun. LOL

Barb
The idea of an MSN group is a great idea Steph. You can patrol who gets access. I'll keep this in mind for my kids as they get a bit older. My son is 9 but spends his computer time at Nickelodeon and Cartoon network at the moment! Aaaaahh Girls! I'm sure my daughter will be wanting to chat! Mummy's girl.......

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic