Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Psychologist has recommended Homeopathy to treat anxiety in DD1

Psychologist has recommended Homeopathy to treat anxiety in DD1 Lock Rss

Can anyone tell me what exactly is Homeopathy? Has anyone used it themselves or for their children, especially regarding anxiety?

Homeopathy is basically natural medicine. Usually made by a naturopath.
I haven't used it for anxiety but am currently treating my daughter's colic with it and seems tonbe working great. My DHs aunty is a naturopath and so she does it. She did treat someone I know for anxiety and it really helped them.
Worth a try I say. It's not always cheap so look into it but of it works its a great option

Have a google. Homeopathy is very different to naturopathy. And tbh I'm surprised a psychologist recommended it.. As someone who works in health, while I personally use and see validity in naturopathy and herbs (they certainly have medicinal benefits), i just personally don't believe in homeopathy. Homeopathy dilutes to non-existance something that's the thing that may have made you "sick" if that makes sense. Some people swear by it, but i am skeptical.this is just my personal opinion, I'm not saying its wrong, or,even doesn't work, just that its not something i would expect a psychologist to recommend

i would go to your naturopath, and try things like fish oil for your DD and see if that helps. Does the psychologist not want to try any CBT or behavioural therapy? My brothers friend had severe generalised anxiety, but went in anti-depressants/ had CBT. Are you happy with the outcome? I would maybe see another if I could, personally.

sorry just eta: i suffered anxiety for a long time, worsened with age, and personally what worked best for ne was learning how to manage and identify triggers, then modify the behavior that follows. Anything taken for the symptoms homeopathic or medicinal is not gonna teach your DD to manage how she responds to her anxiety. I would really recommend behavioural therapy as part of her plan.

I should of mentioned we will still be seeing the psychologist regularly to work on the generalised and separation anxiety, along with play therapy with the school social worker. The psychologists feel this is an long term plan though.

Seeing a homeopath is more specifically in relation to getting her to sleep as a big part of the anxiety is separation at bedtime. The psychologist thinks homeopathy can help us with that in the interium. I have DD1 on fish oil and today went to a health food store to buy some rescue remedy spray for night time also recommended by the psychologist. We used that last night which didn't help her settle to sleep, but then she wasn't anxious last night as she had a friend sleep over for her birthday and they giggled and mucked around nearly all night as to be expected at their age.

I must add to manage her triggers we establish a routine that has visual aids she can tick off on the fridge. We schedule in baths (every 2nd night) so she can see what days they are and not a shock/surprise or her. Nothing we do have ever worked at bed time or not for any sustained period and this has been a problem since a very young age. Not until recently we've understood it's an anxiety issue.

Our major battles with her are going to bed, going to school, having a bath or shower and anything else that doesn't happen the way she thinks in her head ( any change). What stressing us and disturbing the family dynamic is bed time. It's horrendous, she needs to sleep, both DH, myself and DD2 need her to sleep. We can't have these episodes of tantrums for hours every night at bedtime, its now had a negative effect on her sister.

The rest of it all sounds awesome, I just found a bit strange a psychologist recommended homeopathy, that was all. If you're happy to try it, it won't do any harm. With all the other stuff, sounds like they're onto it.

Over here we have a product range called "Sleep Drops" which do a kids range, if you can get it there, it might help. It is a mix of herbal/homeopathic remedies. There are definitely calming herbs your naturopath might be able to recommend to help her. It will probably be a process of trial and error to find what works for her. Does the Dr know you're into alternative treatments, and that's why they recommended it? The fish oil is really good for attention span and stuff, so I would stick with that too.

It sounds like a good plan, which will help her learned anxiety behaviours and start to stop them from happening or learn how to manage them if they do occur. I know how much it sucks as an adult, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for a cihld her age sad

Becaful wrote:Does the Dr know you're into alternative treatments, and that's why they recommended it?

No not at all. To be honest I'm not either I had only just recently seen a naturopath myself. Don't know much about any of it, though I'm open minded.

The psychologist is also researching if there is a calming talking bed time cd to play to her that is age appropriate. She knows of one or older children, but said she'd look into it.

I think because she's so young (6 today!) she is advising natural remedies rather than prescribed medication for getting her to sleep.

I've come to the realisation that she does need the assistance to get her to sleeping whatever form that may be. Once asleep she's a heavy sleeper.

Thanks for your comments Becaful smile

Rosie Mumma wrote:
http://www.homeopathy-soh.org/about-homeopathy/...

We use it for both our kids and ourselves. We've found it works very well.

If I were you I'd give it a go. It can't hurt and is much more affordable than a naturopath.

Thanks will take a look. I was curious to see if others have used it for their children or if its only for hippies, lol.

Becaful wrote:
Have a google. Homeopathy is very different to naturopathy. And tbh I'm surprised a psychologist recommended it.. As someone who works in health, while I personally use and see validity in naturopathy and herbs (they certainly have medicinal benefits), i just personally don't believe in homeopathy. Homeopathy dilutes to non-existance something that's the thing that may have made you "sick" if that makes sense. Some people swear by it, but i am skeptical.this is just my personal opinion,

+1

Naturopathy yes, homeopathy no no no, it's a load of rubbish. Save your money. Some of the concoctions are so diluted that there is not one molecule of the original "active" ingredient in it! You end up paying for water only!

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/tonyrushnet/homeopathy

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopi...

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-09/p...

I use homeopathy for myself and also for my ds. I think it's great, the sleeping remedy I have definitely helps him. I'm not a hippie either but I do prefer natural options when possible smile Homeopathy is more of a thing that you give often, in small doses, not just a one tablet fix all sort of thing.

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
I have nothing to says about the thread topic but want to wish your DD a happy birthday. smile

Naw thanks Mum of 3 Cuties! Just posted birthday thread and bombarded the forum with pics

*StikkiBikki* wrote:
I use homeopathy for myself and also for my ds. I think it's great, the sleeping remedy I have definitely helps him. I'm not a hippie either but I do prefer natural options when possible smile Homeopathy is more of a thing that you give often, in small doses, not just a one tablet fix all sort of thing.

Thanks. I feel I'm probably not going to get the concept until we try it and then make up my mind from there. We're willing to try anything that may be of assistance.

stacebebe wrote:

Seeing a homeopath is more specifically in relation to getting her to sleep as a big part of the anxiety is separation at bedtime. The psychologist thinks homeopathy can help us with that in the interium. I have DD1 on fish oil and today went to a health food store to buy some rescue remedy spray for night time also recommended by the psychologist. We used that last night which didn't help her settle to sleep, but then she wasn't anxious last night as she had a friend sleep over for her birthday and they giggled and mucked around nearly all night as to be expected at their age.

We tried rescue remedy for my DD for her an anxiety. It didn't help her at all.

mummy of two

LOL Rosie mumma after reading that maybe I don't believe in naturopathy either! I didn't really know much about it. I thought it was all dietary stuff and supplements which seems more feasible than the theory behind homeopathy. I have looked into homeopathy quite thoroughly though. I will do some reading on naturopathy.

Meh each to their own I guess smile it certainly isn't going to harm anything but the wallet.

Okay so what's happening right now is she's been an emotional reck for over an hour. She crying, every little thing is upsetting her and she hysterical. I have no idea when it will end tonight. She had a wonderful day but regardless bed time is a challenge. She need to relax and sleep. She wouldn't take the resue remedy spray. We don't know what to do.

Eranda, what prescribed drugs if any are suitable to help a six year old sleep?

Sign in to follow this topic