Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

The school bonus? Lock Rss

Hi my ds is also turning 5 in march.
I do not work. Dh works.
Just have to wait & see.

stina mack,if you get family tax benefit A then you will automatically get it with your payments.If you dont get family tax benefit A then unfortunately you wont get the school kids bonus.Imo everyone should get something for education expenses

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

i thought it was any child starting prep this year gets the bonus regardless of age, they just have to be starting school this year.
I had to notify centrelink by the end of Dec with which school my dd was going to.
I also heard that you have to notify them if your child starts high school, mine does but I haven't notified them but I also heard that they pay you according to their age so not sure what info is correct so will just have to see what I get paid

Thanks so much every one for your reply's.
Yes we do get family tax a & b.

I did ring them up & they said ds. Would't get sorry
Don't understand why. We get payed this week.

ajna wrote:

maybe he is not at the cut off age yet?

ajna wrote:

I know it's a pain but I would call them again tomorrow and ask why! Hopefully you will get a different person that will ideally give you a different answer or atleast explain to you why!

I would think that you would atleast get a pro rata of the amount when he does turn 5yrs.

My DS just turned 5yrs last week and he starts school on 04 February. I got paid his today!

Don't let them hang up until you understand why!

Good Luck!

I know they've re-vamped it all so I'm not 100% sure on how it works now, but when DD started prep there was a specific payment for starting prep and year 7. Maybe your DS isn't technically getting the "school kids bonus" (I think that's what it's called) because he's eligible for the school start bonus??

Also, DS just turned 5 last week and at the end of last year I got a letter asking to update school details for him or I wouldn't be eligible for any school payments. It's not relevant to us so I ignored it, but maybe you were supposed to let them know his school details before a particular cut-off date or something like that?

The only thing I can think of is if he's not full-time this year? In WA the first year (kindy) is not compulsory and they only do part time. Perhaps the payment isn't paid until the first year of full-time compulsory school?
vkw wrote:
stina mack,if you get family tax benefit A then you will automatically get it with your payments.If you dont get family tax benefit A then unfortunately you wont get the school kids bonus.Imo everyone should get something for education expenses

Totally agree!!!

So I just had a look and the op won't get the payment because you needed to have advised c'link last year if your child was starting school this year so I'd guess she probably missed the cutoff and that's why you'd get it in July but not January. Also, preschoolers don't get it.
Sign in to follow this topic