Huggies Forum

60 Minutes Selective Reduction Lock Rss

Anyone else watching this???? Thoughts?

Absolutely shocked... gasp ....absolutely shocked that 60 minutes actually showed selective reduction happening....

One woman seemed in denial.....that the fetus is just tissues until born. And that she thought she was pregnant with a 'litter'

mummy of two

Women who are pregnant with multiple babies have them 'selectivly reduced'. Meaning a giant needle filled with potassium is injected into the unwanted multiple fetuses heart causing them to die.

Mum is pregnant with 3 babies but only wanted 1 for lifestyle reasons so she had the other 2 selectively reduced. And 60 minutes actually showed the procedure happening

mummy of two

i cant believe they showed that first footage either, i burst into tears and turned the tv off, so i didnt see alot of the story, only the last few minutes when i felt game enought to turn it back on sad

that image will haunt me for the rest of my life

the only time id understand that sort of decision is if it was made on a medical basis, so where a medical condition/s make carrying multiple babies dangerous or life threatening for the mother or if one or more of the babies have a severe defect or other problem that means theyll die anyway or risk the survival of the other sibling/s if left to grow to a more mature size.

honestly the reaoning behind those womens decisions i found selfish and unstable...a litter? seriously? what is wrong with you?!
Yeah I had tears in my eyes watching the needle go in. Horrible!

And for her to say it isnt a baby until it's born. What an idiot.

l missed the start of the show, but l got the impression that the woman from USA who chose selective reduction went through IVF. Surely if you only ever wanted one baby, then you wouldn't get more than one embryo inserted? Maybe l don't know enough about the topic, but it certainly doesn't sit right with me.

Gonna throw a spanner in the works, but isn't selective reduction a lot like abortion? personal choice? What if you already had 6 or 7 kids under 12 and were told you were having a multiple birth when as far as you were concerned the pregnancy was a accident anyway?

Not that I'm agreeing with showing the actual procedure on tv or the mindset of SOME woman but just pointing out there are more than medical reasons as to why people should/would/could get it done....

I am definitely pro choice, but the reason this doesnt sit well with me is because

When you abort, you are terminating the pregnancy , not choosing one child over another...how do you do that??

It was about 'IVF's dirty little secret' so some of these women are actively trying to get pregnant, but because of 'lifestyle reasons' they only want want child. Then why are you having more than one embryo implanted??

Medical reason I get, not the woman who wanted to keep her 'new York lifestyle' and triplets didn't fit into that picture.

mummy of two

alsohow is she going to tell the surviving child about their siblings well you were once a litter and I decided I would reduce the amount of you so I picked you aren't you the lucky one and if the child does something wrong well I picked the wrong child I should of picked B or C

I agree with GK about health reasons but I wouldn't be the one choosing I would get the Dr to

there was a story on this in the US where they killed the healthy baby by mistake then had to redo it and kill the sick baby in the first place

oh thats horrible..but theres a big difference IMO between killing a sick baby and leaving the healthy one as opposed to killing a healthy baby (or several) for conveinience

and yes if it were medical reasons the Dr should choose of corse

Gonna throw a spanner in the works, but isn't selective reduction a lot like abortion? personal choice? What if you already had 6 or 7 kids under 12 and were told you were having a multiple birth when as far as you were concerned the pregnancy was a accident anyway?

Not that I'm agreeing with showing the actual procedure on tv or the mindset of SOME woman but just pointing out there are more than medical reasons as to why people should/would/could get it done....

i agree, theres really no difference between this and normal abortion, if anything this is far less violent then standard abortion.
for me peronally i disagree with abortion in the majority of cases, but i dont want to turn the thread into an abortion debate.

the fact is, abortion and selective abortion happens..but to shoe that footage on tv with the only warning being 'this story may be confronting to some veiwers'...disgraceful and un-necessary
Wrong wrong wrong on So many levels. To myself and my husband the only way we'd consider something like that if there was a medical reason too. It broke my heart to hear and see it being done.

I am definitely pro choice, but the reason this doesnt sit well with me is because

When you abort, you are terminating the pregnancy , not choosing one child over another...how do you do that??

It was about 'IVF's dirty little secret' so some of these women are actively trying to get pregnant, but because of 'lifestyle reasons' they only want want child. Then why are you having more than one embryo implanted??

i completely agree.
I generally don't post in these topics, but I was appalled tonight!

I bawled my eyes out and was absolutely mortified and felt ill when I saw that first clip. I too am pro choice, but to 'selectively reduce' the fetuses based on lifestyle, to me is the biggest cop out.

The bit that got me was when she was asked why she didn't just put them up for adoption, and her response was along the lines of - How unfair, I didn't want to have to choose... Ummm hello! You made a choice to kill 2 babies who for all you know could have been perfectly healthy just to fit in with your lifestyle choice... shame on you!

As for the woman who thought a baby is just tissue until it's born.. what an idiot.

I didn't see it but I have a couple of thoughts - and it's not necessarily my opinion rather just a few things to consider before simply saying it's right or wrong

Firstly, multiple pregnancies carry much higher risks of complications for mother and babies. Many twins are born premmie and triplets are pretty much certain to be born early. While many prems go on to be healthy and happy, prematurity still often results in physical, mental and behavioural issues. So it may be better to do this and have one healthy baby than three very sick or disabled babies

Secondly, raising one baby is hard enough. Some people just would not cope with three. Did they discuss family dynamics on the show, like how much financial support and family support the woman had? All very well to say she SHOULD keep the babies but there are a lot of factors to consider. It's not a black or white decision for everyone

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sign in to follow this topic