Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Advice about possible croup please

Advice about possible croup please Lock Rss

Hey babes,

I think my 2yr old son has croup and my daughter might get it next.
They stayed at a friends house who's son had it but we thought he was over it by the time they stayed.

It started with the sniffles and we thought he was just getting a mild cold. Last night he woke up with a fever and the barking cough. He also threw up but i think that was because he kept swallowing phelm. I gave him panadol and within an hour or so the fever was gone, he had stopped barking and he could breathe through his nose again.

I tried to get a doctors appointment but she is all booked out until 5.10 and i start work halfhour away at 5.30 and cant afford to miss it.

Do the kids have to go to the doctors or can we ride it out like a cold?

Im new to this one so any advice would be great.

Hey babes,

I think my 2yr old son has croup and my daughter might get it next.
They stayed at a friends house who's son had it but we thought he was over it by the time they stayed.

It started with the sniffles and we thought he was just getting a mild cold. Last night he woke up with a fever and the barking cough. He also threw up but i think that was because he kept swallowing phelm. I gave him panadol and within an hour or so the fever was gone, he had stopped barking and he could breathe through his nose again.

I tried to get a doctors appointment but she is all booked out until 5.10 and i start work halfhour away at 5.30 and cant afford to miss it.

Do the kids have to go to the doctors or can we ride it out like a cold?

Im new to this one so any advice would be great.
Oh no.....Croup is the pitts. My DS has had it a few times and ended up overnight in hospital with it last time.

I would def try and get into the GP. The paramedic and pead who helped us recommended to sleep them as upright as you can and also if they have a bad coughing attack to put them into the bathroom with the window's closed and steam the room up with the hot water running (don't put them into the shower.....lol!!) This will help moisten their airways and help the cough.

The GP will probably give them a steroid (redipred or prendisone (sp??)) and this will work really quickly for them. The pead also told us that they can get a second attack within a few days if its not followed up by treatment.

Hope you little ones are okay!!

HTH
Thankyou, it does help. I got them an appointment for the morning. Hopefully they will be good until then.
Hey hun
Croup is such a horrible thing it went right threw my kids a while ago sad
The doctor didn't give them anything!!!!!!!!!!!
I was lucky though they got over it within a week but what a long week that was sad
I hope they give you something so they can get better ASAP smile
Poor lil munchkins, we used the vaporizer and a friend lent her mask thingy that has the saline stuff that clears the chest tat worked wonders!!!
Good luck hun xx

Hey hun
Croup is such a horrible thing it went right threw my kids a while ago sad
The doctor didn't give them anything!!!!!!!!!!!
I was lucky though they got over it within a week but what a long week that was sad
I hope they give you something so they can get better ASAP smile
Poor lil munchkins, we used the vaporizer and a friend lent her mask thingy that has the saline stuff that clears the chest tat worked wonders!!!
Good luck hun xx

Hi,
Both my kids have had croup in the past and the doctor didnt give anything for them as well. So we had to resort to steaming up our bathroom and holding her in there for a while and we also used the vaporizer.

I hope the docs give you something to help! I hate how our babies get sick! If only we could take it from them!

Good Luck xx

I just wanted to say i hope both your kids are feeling better very soon & that you don't have to wait long to see the doctor.

I've seen a lot of kids with croup - and from what you've described you'd be wasting your time going to the Dr. unless its severe and affecting their airways, and nothing can relieve it, they won't do anything for you. if panadol took the fever away and stopped the barking - just keep giving it regularly. a vaporisor is wonderful for croup - you can put a couple drops of liquid vicks in there too and that will help.

Thanks for all your advice yesterday guys. My little man is feeling much better today. Thank god for that.
Sign in to follow this topic