Huggies Forum

Really Worried Lock Rss

just got back from the vets. I rang the after hours number and they met me there. It was a paralasis tick. I cant believe i missed it. I check him every day. I feel so bad. They are giving him the syrum and other injections. He is not well though, they dont know if he will be alright or not.
Its going to cost around 600-700 dollars a day!!!!
I know thats what you have to do but holy hell!
Anyway its just wait and see now. My youngest is so upset. sad

Good luck, I hope your puppy pulls through x

Thanks. Yep that much. I almost fell over when they told me.
It depends on how he goes. I will ring this afternoon and check. If he has improved then i can get him tommorrow. But each day will cost more.
The thing is I might pay all this money and he will still die.

Oh no sad Vets are so bloody expensive! I really do hope he gets better real soon..thats alot of money sad Will they let you pay it off or do they expect you to pay in full each time? Stupid pr!ck of a tick!!!! angry

Oh no sad Vets are so bloody expensive! I really do hope he gets better real soon..thats alot of money sad Will they let you pay it off or do they expect you to pay in full each time? Stupid pr!ck of a tick!!!! angry

Yes, STOOOPID STOOOPID TICK!!
I have to pay the first days bill, then i can pay it off if i want each week.
Lets just hope he gets better and i mean TODAY!

Yes, STOOOPID STOOOPID TICK!!
I have to pay the first days bill, then i can pay it off if i want each week.
Lets just hope he gets better and i mean TODAY!

Hes such a gorgeous little boy..I really do hope he pulls through..for you and your kids sake smile Fingers crossed hun!!
Aw sad
Just what you DIDN'T need right now, huh?

GBHs and hope he gets better really quickly and you can get him home..

Vets are so dear.

Hope he recovery's very quickly and he home happy again.

Aw that's horrible Hun I hope his ok and pulls threw sad
It's just a joke vet bills even with pet insurance I'm sure you gotta pay up front and then get like 80% percent back I think I might be wrong.
It's so much money to pullout of ni where specially with Xmas approaching.
I send him cuddles and kisses xxx
hi there
any news on how your pup is doing this afternoon?
Wishing him all the best!
oh Chloe that is terrible. How awful for you all. sad

Can I suggest you ring a few other vets to do a price comparison. (don't tell them what you have been quoted.) Also get a breakdown of why it is costing so much. Just to make sure they aren't taking advantage.....
Oh your poor puppy!! I work in a vet clinic as a nurse but being in SA I have had zero exp with paralysis ticks as we dont have them here.. we barely have the brown dog tick in my area.. some ppl say that have seen them but extremely rare.

The amount u are spending is a lot but I would say that this is for critical care monitoring. When an animal is THAT sick they require constant care and monitoring, medications etc and yes.. you have to pay for it. But like I said.. it is hard to say if it is a fair price as we dont deal with that particular illness at my vet clinic.

I dont want to hijack your post but just want to defend my profession in a sense, we all need to remember that vet clinics are not government funded, they are often privately owned, there are no medicare benefits, concession cards etc so yes, it may seem expensive.. but really.. you are just paying for what is used, drugs, services etc.

has anyone been to the Dr or the dentist and had voluntary procedures done?? For my tooth to be filled I was quoted $200.. Now I know I could have a dogs teeth scale and polished for that price.. this included anaesthesia, drugs, and constant nurse and veterinary care while at the vet clinic.. compared to a half hour visit to the dentist.

Sorry I dont mean to rant.. I just always hear how vets are soooo expensive, and so unforgiving when it comes to bills etc, but we have to remember, we choose to have pets knowing that these benefits dont include our beloved animals.

I really do hope your puppy gets better quickly!! xx

Now he is dragging himself across the ground and has vomited. Not good. sad

Must be a tick, if you find one best way to remove it is to get a cotton bud, spray with insect pray and hold it to tick till it falls off/can be pulled off. Dont know what to do after that sorry, sounds like he is too far gone. gotta get it off priority but.... look between toes, in ears, nose, bum. all moist places and hidy holes. Hope he is ok.
My mini pig had a tick also. He was at the vets for 5 days with critical care monitoring, meaning someone actually slept there all night!! It cost us $800 for the time he was there.

As PP said no vet care is funded by Medicare and that's why it seems so expensive. Hope your puppy is ok. It may take awhile but once the tick anti serum starts hopefully you will see a big improvement. smile

To get them out we were told NOT to spray or put anything on them.....the vets said it makes the tick think they are 'under attack' and can cause them to release even more venom.

mummy of two

Sign in to follow this topic