Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Be Aware - New scam in Australia

Be Aware - New scam in Australia Lock Rss

Ive just had a telemarketer call me from india, who quoted my name telling me there is a virus on my computer and i need to follow his instructions or my computer will no longer work. Ive heard of this scam in the past, heres the link to the article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Ive had them call me before trying to get me to pay to fix the viruses, i have up to date virus protection, so i know there is nothing wrong with my computer. I'd love to know where they are getting our info from!
It's not a new scam, it's been going on for ages. Those idiots tried the same trick on my dad and thankfully I'd already drilled into him that it was a scam well before they called. It's a good chance the scammers are buying legitimate call lists from marketing companies and misusing them, but it scares me to think of how many people they end up scamming, especially those computer users that aren't real savvy with them eg my parents

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

Where ever they get the info from the don't do their homework, I was listening to a lady on the radio who said she got called three times by these people, she doesn't even own a computer!
yeah its been going around for well over a year. they tried to tell me i had a virus i said yer well if i did i dnt need his help as i know someone who could check it out so then he hung up.
Of course it a scam and it nothing new. Anyone that rings up saying anything to do with a computer is a scam. Just hang up. My hubby a computer tech and he is the only one i will let look at my computer and he tells our customers don't give this people the time of day just hang up

They called me a couple of months ago and I all ready knew about the scam. I played dumb and asked the lady what her companys name was. She could not give me a company name. What an idiot. You think they would have at least invented a company name.
I just hung up on her.

They called me about a month ago and i played along with them for a while as i knew what they where trying to do. In the end he tells me i have a mssive birus blah blah blah so i replied with "I am a computer tecnichian and spend my day fixing other peoples computers against viruses, i have that much security on mine that the FBI wouldn't be able to penetrate it, and i once i finish talking to you i will be calling the authorities as i know the commands you gave me are to hack my computer" hence to say he hung up on me. Funny thing is..... i am NOT a comouter technician but i called his bluff! Thinking a bit latter i should have said i was from the AFP in the cyber crime unit hahaha!
I had one a few weeks ago. He started telling me about the need to update my security system (which was funny because I JUST bought and loaded the latest virus and internet security system on my laptop lol) so I told him to hang on a sec, I'll go get my credit card so I can buy the program off him, muted the phone and walked away. I think I hung up around an hour later.

Of course it a scam and it nothing new. Anyone that rings up saying anything to do with a computer is a scam. Just hang up. My hubby a computer tech and he is the only one i will let look at my computer and he tells our customers don't give this people the time of day just hang up

Of course i hung up, Just wanted to put it out there, as many older people are getting caught by these idiots. If we can all pass the message on to others, it may help protect people from getting stung!
It is stupid we haven't had a call from them for a while but like somebody else said they have rung us like three times in 1 day. DH tells them to go get F***ed stop calling us. and we are on the do not call list so it doesn't make a difference.
My DH grandma got caught up in this. She had peeople over and got caught up in it and stupidly she did what they were saying. Her son is a computer tech and grilled her for it later on when she rang him about it. She felt so stupid for it. Just like those ones where you get an email saying you have won money all you need to do is send us some money. To some people it's common sense to know its bs but then other people fall for it.

I had some guy come to my door yesterday saying he needed to see my most recent electricity bill to rectify it. Um... no thanks!! Stupid thing was he knocked on my door half an hour later trying to scam me again, forgetting he had already been to my house.
Sign in to follow this topic