Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Camping with toddlers! Lock Rss

We are going to go camping over Easter 2011 with DD who will be 2 by then...we are going to camp at a caravan park in a tent so will still be close to shops, toilets, showers etc. And its only a bit over an hour from home....(at the beach, can't wait!!!)
But I am a little nervous of sleeping arrangements! At home DD is an amazing sleeper, has a nap during the day from 12:30-2:30ish and goes to bed at 7pm (ish) and wakes up at 7:30am (ish).

Do I loosely stick to her routine while camping? Is it best for us to go to bed when she does so not to wake her up? our tent is a one room tent, quite a good size...but still only one room! I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to hire a tent with a separate room for DD?

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!!! we really want to enjoy this time away and not have a grumpy little girl on our hands!! smile

We are going to go camping over Easter 2011 with DD who will be 2 by then...we are going to camp at a caravan park in a tent so will still be close to shops, toilets, showers etc. And its only a bit over an hour from home....(at the beach, can't wait!!!)
But I am a little nervous of sleeping arrangements! At home DD is an amazing sleeper, has a nap during the day from 12:30-2:30ish and goes to bed at 7pm (ish) and wakes up at 7:30am (ish).

Do I loosely stick to her routine while camping? Is it best for us to go to bed when she does so not to wake her up? our tent is a one room tent, quite a good size...but still only one room! I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to hire a tent with a separate room for DD?

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!!! we really want to enjoy this time away and not have a grumpy little girl on our hands!! smile

We've only just started camping as a family. We have DS1, 5, DS2, 3 & DD, 21 months.

We loosely stick to routine with DD. If it will stress you or her to be out of routine then try to stick to it, but if you are both ok with changes then play it by ear.

The only time we're been at the tent for the day sleep DD refused to have one but we found out the next day she had an ear ache sad At night we found that she won't settle unless it's dark regardless of how tired she is. We've tried putting her to sleep at the normal time but end up having to get her up again.

We all sleep in the same tent. Sometimes it's a struggle but it's part of the fun of camping as a family. We put DD to bed, then when she's asleep, the boys go & we sneak in when we're ready (usually not long after lol). We just make sure everything is ready so there is less disturbence.

Have fun. My kids love camping.

We are big on camping and have done heaps with our nearly 4yo DS and nearly 2yo DD.

Day sleeps are usually a struggle for us and often find the only way to get a daysleep is by taking them for a drive or a walk in the pram. Although DD has always been a better sleeper than DS and she occasionaly has a sleep lying on a towel or blanket outside the tent. (Where we are it is usually too hot inside the tent during the day anyway.)

Night times are always easier cause they are exchausted from all the fresh air and being so busy all day. You shouldn't need to go to bed at the same time, just make sure you have all the beds and clothes ready and you know where everything is. It's always a worry that zipping the tent will wake them, but that is very rare for us. As I said, they are usually exhausted and sleep well at night anyway.

And I wouldn't get a tent with a seperate room, cause if she wakes at night it just makes it harder to settler her again.

Enjoy it! I'm sure you're DD will have a ball.

We've had a week camping with our DS's earlier this month and they were surprisingly good....well besides mr 17mths waking at sparrow fart every day LOL which isn't good when your body clock is still on QLD time and you're in NSW on daylight savings time!

I found it was easier to loosely stick to routine and just fit in a day sleep where and when they were tired, otherwise there'd be fights if they weren't ready to have a nap. We've never had to sneak in and out of the tents either once the little ones are asleep....after all the fresh air they are so tired they sleep like the dead LOL

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

Very informative thread.
Sign in to follow this topic