Huggies Forum

Newcastle Mums Rss

Any defence mums or mums in Newcastle that send their kids to St Columba in Adamstown?

Im looking at this school as a potential school for DS1.. it rates very well on myschool compared to schools closer to the base..
hi lola

sorry, i can't help answer your question but I just wanted to jump in here and watch this thread coz i'm also looking for a good school for my DS, more towards Port Stephens area for us though. But would still be interested to see any replies about St Columba or others...

TIA
I looked at the ones closer to the base around Raymond Tce and Medowie but they dont have a good rating...
Im not sure about St Columba but one thing I will say is that the public school in Adamstown is really a great school (dh's cousin sends her children there) Dont make your decision based only on the myschools website the info is very restricted. My advise is to go vist several schools in the area and do some hands on research you might find the results interesting especially considering that the myschool website doesnt give you information about facilitys, resources, school attitudes, bullying prodocols or the general feeling within the school.

Cheers NEss

thats what I've found aswell. I have had recommendations from people about St. Brigids at Raymond Terrace but the myschool results aren't the best.

so for us it will be a matter of deciding whether to send DS on a long bus trip into Newcastle for his schooling.

thats what I've found aswell. I have had recommendations from people about St. Brigids at Raymond Terrace but the myschool results aren't the best.

so for us it will be a matter of deciding whether to send DS on a long bus trip into Newcastle for his schooling.

I personally dont think it is worth the long bus trip. Me personally I would go with a school much more local and if concerned about how much he is learning then opt for a tutor. Seriously think of how long a day it will be, lets just estimate the bus trip would be an hour with the stops and traffic then add your 6hr school day and an hour bus trip home...thats an 8hr day which for small children is very long and would end up VERY exhausted, they wouldnt have energy to do homework, home readers and you would struggle to get them bathed and fed before they flaked out.

Cheers Ness

We will find RA or DHA in Adamstown and make DH drive to the base....its more important for me to be near to the school and to send him to a small but good school.
Hi Creative_Ness, i tend to agree, i really don't know if i could put my little 5 year old kindergarten son on a big bus and send him off to school nearly 1 hour away + school time + another hour back home all for the sake of a "good school" according to the myschool site. As you say, he would be too tired to do anything in the afternoon (be it homework or an after school activity).

Time to re-consider i think.

Good advice, thank you.
I don't know about those particular schools but my mum is big in the federation of P&C and she thinks the my school website is a joke, I wouldn't base your decision on that. Go and check out the schools yourself. I'd go the local one myself.

I looked at the ones closer to the base around Raymond Tce and Medowie but they dont have a good rating...

lol i went to both of the public schools in Medowie ohhhhh so long ago lol
then I went to the high school in the Terrace.
Both my nephews go to St Phillips in waratah, it has a great curriculum, also has fantasic nepotism meh lol

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

I was the after school care supervisor and had many kids come from St Bridgids, i also have a few friends who children attend there, and they couldn't be happier

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

I have heard St Brigid's is a good school. We were in DHA housing in Raymond Terrace for 4 years.

If you're looking for something outside of Raymo/Medowie, maybe give Ashtonfield, Thornton or Tenambit a go. I know all these places have DHA housing and there are a lot of schools to choose from. The RAAF base is about 30 minutes from here, so a bit less than if you were in Adamstown (more traffic that way too).
Sign in to follow this topic