Huggies Forum

Naming Ceremonies? Rss

Hi I am hoping someone out there can help me. My little man turns one in July, and I am thinking of holding him a naming ceremony.
The only problem is I have no idea how to organise one, and what to include.
Please if anyone has any advice, stories, or ideas can you let me know....
thanks in advance em

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Hi Em!
I've had the exact same idea for my little boy's first birthday as well!
I've been researching naming ceremonies, espcially non-religious ones, as my family are pre-dominantly atheist. I'm considering asking my great-aunt about ceremony ideas as she is a JP, and may even ask her to perform the ceremony.
So far I have only ideas, nothing concrete. I'm hoping to do it for Aidan's first birthday, and invite family and close friends to the party and incorporating the naming ceremony into that - kind of like a celebration of Aidan's first year with us, and a celebration of what is to come. I'm going to put together a birthday book for him, and write about his firsts and also include spaces for people's autographs etc.
It will be a nice way to properly introduce Aidan to the world, and to all our friends, even though he should know who's who by then!!
I plan on reading an Irish Blessing I specially picked for him when he was born. It's like a blessing for his future. I will also ask my family to do something special for him, and also invite people to talk about their favourite moments during his first year. I may even play some of Aidan's favourite music at the ceremony as well.
If I find out anymore ideas I'll let you know. Maybe we can brainstorm!!! There's heaps on the web though to keep you busy LOL!! Hope these ideas help.
Good luck!!

Ambs smile

Ambs, Mummy to Aidan (born March 04)

Hi Em,
I'm also in the process of planning my son's first birthday/naming day. I was hoping to do something a little unusual and out there. I have done a little research and have only found a few things that interest me. 1 was a wish book, where everyone writes down there hopes and dreams for Noah's life. 2 was the common candle ceremony, where a candle was lit on the day and also every birthday after. And 3 was something different, but I checked out the prices and found it to be a little expensive. You release butterfly's which I thought was beautiful. The price for 10 butterfly's was around $180.00. So I might need to contact some butterfly breeders to enquire about a cheaper price. I heard someone had a budhist ceremony on the beach, where they shaved the babies head (who was 2 by the way) and scattered rose petal for her to walk on.
I'm also stuck with what to buy my son for his birthday and also naming day. I'm very sentimental and want something to give him when he's older. Maybe something symbolic, but what, is the question.... Any ideas?? Brainstorming sounds like a great idea. Hope I've given you some ideas. Let me know if you come up with anything.
Cheers!
Lynette
We bought our daughter Maya a greenstone pendant for her first birthday. ths is very symbolic in her culture (Maori) as it is a symbol of good luck and good wishes and it has to be blessed. I thought this was the perfect present for her too as her father and I went halves to buy it, even tho we are not together any more, kind of like uniting for our daughter.
On her birthday I lit her chrsitening candle at 8.11am (the time she was born) even tho she wasn't up to see it! I want to do thi sfor her birthday every year.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

hi dais_y81
you are in the same vote as i was i didnt know anything about it i didnt want my son to be christen but wanted him to have godparents
i was going to have it before my son turn one but i didnt know what to do so i left it until i rang a celebrate about how much it was going to cost and everything else
then i decide to do everything together his birthday and ceremony it heaps better so you can invited everyone one not twiced
we had it down at a park then after the ceremony we had a bbq for his birthday party

it was a nice day

but if i was you ring around now for a celebrate so you can get it book for the day you want it

want any more info you can email spac_dp@yahoo.com

hope the day gose as well as my

Tyler 12/6/03 . Dion 10/11/08

Hi Emmy-Lou,
What a really lovely gesture to do for Maya! I love the candle idea. I was going to get Aidan a special kind of celtic emblem to incorporate with his Irish blessing I'm preparing for him.
Also, another idea for Daisy, and anyone else who's reading this: I'm keeping certain things for Aidan from different stages of his childhood to give to him when he's older (like for his 18th or 21st birthday). It's kind of like a time capsule. So far, I have kept his very first pair of booties, stretch'n'grow, lace-up shoes, and his v.first hat/bonnett. I'm going to keep his plunket book, appt cards, and I've also kept the newspaper from the day he was born. I'll add more to it as the years go by.
I don't know anyone who has done this, but I thought it would be a cool thing to do - and for him to look back on, esp.since babies don't really remember much about the first year or so.
I looked at the price of celebrants and they can be costly. If you can't afford a celebrant, perhaps ask a senior member of your family, like one of your parents or grandparents or even a favourite aunt/uncle to do the honours, or one of the god-parents. That way it has a much more personal touch to the day.

Hope you are having luck on your search - and having fun!!! smile

Hi Amber,
I'm keeping a treasure box for Maya too! It started out in a photo box with just my positive pregnancy test and the scan photos when I was preg, now she is 16 mths and it fills a whole archive box! I've got her first toothbrush, first shoes, the clothes I brought her home in, my pregnancy diary and labour notes, photos of her with family, her baby book, the newspaper from when she was born, her cord clip, her hospital bracelets..... (I'm a bit of a hoarder!!).
I like the music idea. I played "I hope you dance" by leeann womack at Maya's christening, as it is the words sum al everything I hope for Maya's life. Also read a poem by Maya Angelou, who is my baby's namesake.
Enjoy planning your son's naming ceremony, and I'll keep posting ideas as I remember them.

hi everyone,

emmy-lou, you sound as bad as me in the hoarding department! i also have kept all of those sorts of things, including the pregnancy diary. i continued my pregnancy diary on, and each month, since the day jess was born, i write a letter to her, to let her know what she was doing each month of her early life. i think i'll write once a month until she's 2 (she's 1 now) and then each year on her birthday until she's 18 or something. then i'll give it to her to keep. hopefully she's like me and appreciate that sort of thing. i always wish my mum had of done the same sort of thing for me!

keep idea's coming for the naming ceremony. i'm planning on having jess christened, but with a difference.

calli

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

I have a journal I keep for Maya too. I didn't start when I was preg, but wish I had. I started it when she was 19 days old and I write in it quite often. She also has her own website www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis and I've recently started an online journal there.
I'm really sentimental, so like you, I hope Maya inherits that. her dad is not sentimental at all sad

Me too!!!!!
Aidan's website is www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidantaylor (password is clarke)
I have an online journal there as well - and I kept a monthly journal when I was pregnant. So far, Aidan's online journal contains his firsts, and a few other little things.
It's going to be so cool to be able to share these things with our kids one day. I can't wait!!

I just checked out Aidan's webpage. What a little cutie. You forget so quickly how small they are!
I bought a baby book for Maya when I was preg that i stuck some special photo's in, and a letter from me and her dad, and all her firsts etc.
I also asked her granparents and great grandparents to write her a letter for her first birthday, which I've kept in her treasure box too. that way she has something from them that she can keep forever to remind her of them.

Hi thaink you all for your great Ideas!
We have decided not to go with a celebant, but we are going to dedicate a garden to Liam, and put his placenta in it. So when he is abit older it can be his special place. I love the idea of the book with messages in it to him from family and friends!
I will update this later when we make some further plans again thanks and keep those Ideas rolling in!

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Sign in to follow this topic