Huggies Forum

new realestate laws ??? Lock Rss

so i went into my realestate today as they haven't contacted me and my lease runs out in 11 days and i told the chick this but she said she couldn't do anything until another lady came in as the laws for rental leases have changed so just wondering if anyone know what these changes are at all ?thanks sam

MUM TO RJ 28 10 03 & EJ 23 07 06

well ours expired yesterday and because we didnt re sign that day we got issued with a termination saying we have 14 days to move out.

the place we are going to gave notice to their tenants and they had to give them "60 days notice" due to the new laws..? wtf hey!

24 year old mum to 2 beautiful girls

Hi girls,

I've had a fair bit of experience with renting & to the best of my knowledge the laws state that at the end of a lease you as a tenant can give 28 days notice that you wish to vacate, but the landlord/agent must give a minimum of 60 or 120 days notice depending on the reason.

you can be given a 14 day notice for other reasons, but not for ending a lease

look up the website of Consumer affairs or call them on their toll free number, they are the best people to talk to to see if you are being wrongly done by.

www.consumer.vic.gov.au
PH: 1300 55 81 81 (Toll free)

also read the little red book that you where given by the real estate agent when first moved in.

anyway, I hope this helps

i don't think the book is relevent anymore i've been here almost 2 years and she said that the laws have just changed so yeah but she didn't say what the new laws were or anything so hhhmmmm ........... but i told her i was happy to sign another lease and gave them my phone number as my mobile sim card has gone walk about ....... so i spose i'll have to wait and see what happens and start to get my house ready incase i have to move which i hope i don't have to as i've got all my bro's stuff in the garage atm !

thanks guys will let u know what happens sam

MUM TO RJ 28 10 03 & EJ 23 07 06

thats weird! our lease expired almost 1 year ago!!
Unless things have drastically changed here is the way it should work

When your 12 month lease period ends you automatically go on to a periodic tennancy (month to month) you need to be given at least 4 weeks notice to end a periodic tennancy, if they want to end your lease and give you no periodic tennancy they need to give you a reason and then give you the notice relating to that reason, ending a tennancy for no reason is 26 weeks notice, ending for a relative to move in is 8 weeks notice ending for selling is 6 weeks

This is for Canberra but most states are the same, you should have a tennacy tribunal that you can call in your state to get advice

I ONLY HAD A 6 MONTH LEASSE HAVE NOW BEEN HERE FOR NEAR;Y A YR AND AHLF AND NO HOUSE INSPECTIONS!

I DID HAVE A HOUSE INSPECTION APP LAST NOV BUT THEY CAME A WEEK EARLY AND I WAS GOING OUT SO THEY COULDNT DO IT ANBD I NEVER HEARD FROM THEM AGAIN
Sign in to follow this topic