Huggies Forum

Rural Babies Rss

Hi Everyone,

I would like to hear from anyone who lives in the country. We live an hour out of the nearest town and I only like to go into town once a week at the most.

I have a five month son and sometimes I think he spends way to much time with the dogs. Plus when I am having a bad day (Hamish is teething at the moment) I can't just go to friends house for a coffe.

The good points is the space and quiet and I wouldn't change it fir the world.

Tineka, Mum to Hamish 3yrs, Abby 1yr & 1due 10/04

Hi Tineka,

I live on a property but only live 20 minutes from town, so not quite as far out as you. I love living out of town. The peace and quiet you can't beat and if bub is having a hissy fit, you don't have to worry about neighbours smile

If you are having a bad day, can you perhaps phone one of your friends instead or perhaps put bub in his pram and take him for a walk.

I don't think I could go back to Suburbia again. Another bonus I reckon is when Meghan is a teenager its no good climbing out the window to sneak out, as its a long walk to town *lol*

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hey thats a great way of looking at it.

I think I was feeling fustrated as I was not feeling useful around the farm, my husband is always pointing out that I have the most important job looking after Hamish and I am doing a fantastic job. (he can be so sweet when he wants)

Things are looking up as yesterday hamish and I helped with the drafting in the yards and today with the crutching (Hamish played on a rug on the floor while I swept the board)

It's not as easy as before but with a bit of patience we can do a bit. Not bad for a born and bred city girl.

Tineka

Hi again,

Your husband is absolutely right and its great that he feels that way. Looking after a baby takes a lot of time and its wonderful that your husband understands this and is happy for you to do it.

I didn't realise you were a born and bred city girl. Its quite ironical for me as my husband comes from a farm and I came from a medium sized town, but it was me who wanted the land. Hubby wanted to stay in town. He admits know he loves it out here. I think also because we only have horses he's ok. He hates sheep *lol* Mind you I still make him cart hay!

Oh my god , so you are into horses. Thats how I meet my husband I was studying Horse managment and He was doing a farm course..I have not ridden in a few years as I had a couple of bad falls and as life happens I never got an oppurtunity to start again. Although It's my goal this year to get back into it and get fit again after having Hamish.
I can't wait to teach Hamish to ride.

Tineka

Hi Tineka

I miss not being able to ride as much as I used to, but thats how it goes. I can't wait to teach Meghan to ride either. I took her over in the pram yesterday evening when I fed the horses and she was fascinated. My TB kept leaning over the fence trying to sniff her!

We seem to have a bit in common with the horses, property and bubs. If you feel like a chat and want to email me, I would love to hear from you. My email is byensch@aol.com

Bron

Hi

I have tried to email you but it keeps coming back so I will give you my address
atsandall@clear.net.nz

Mum to Dylan

Phantom

Hi sorry the above post is me Tineka but I usingmy sisters computer and thought I would quickly write you a message while she was logged on

I hope I havn't confused you

tINEKA

Mum to Dylan

Hi Tineka,

It did make me wonder for a minute. I'm not sure why it bounced back - very odd. I will send you an email and see how we go from there.

Cheers, Bron

Hi Bron & Tineka,

Saw the RURAL BABIES subject & thought I'd drop in. We live on 300 acres and have cattle and horses as well. I am not a country girl, well not an out of towner, so I'm finding it very hard to adjust. While I was working, I think it was okay, but being home all the time is very hard.

My husband has just started putting our daughter on the horse with him - she loves it! I worry myself sick, but I can't wrap her up in cotton wool. I wish she could have a helmet though. I think she's going to be more into this country thing than me, and it breaks my heart that she will be out riding horses without me! I wish I could ride so badly, but I'm such a chicken, and so nervous, I've never been able to learn, even when we bought me my own horse, who was as quite as a mouse! Do you think I'm too old to learn? (30 this year)

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

Hi Calli

You are never to old to learn to ride, all you need is patient understanding horse and someone who understands to teach you, and remember the horse doen't know how old you are.
I know what you mean about being scared though I started riding when I was 14 but after a nasty fall and not riding for nearly 10 years I am so scared about starting again. Maybe we should challange each other to give it ago.

I it doen't work out there is other things you can do with your daughter.

It is hard coming from a town or city background onto a farm not only the isolation but all the things you have to learn. When we first got married about 3 years ago I was walking around the farm with my husband and my father n law when we had to get through a fence (while avoiding the electric wire. ) It was the coldest winter in years (-12) so I had lots of layers on . Anyway I went slip through after the men when I got stuck as I was not heavy enough to puch down the wire. I finally got through not before my FNL gave my husband the look of "This one is going to take work"
This is not the most embarressing story.

Keep smiling

Tineka

Hi Calli,

Like Tineka said, you're never too old to learn to ride. My mum took up riding in her mid 30's when my sister and I really got into riding. Also like Tineka said, you just need someone with patience and understanding to teach you. I was just thinking, can you get a bike helmet for your daughter to wear when she is riding. I think I would like some protective head wear on my daughter, even if someone was holding her on. Just to be on the safe side.

I'm not as rural as you and Tineka, so I'm not finding staying at home too isolated. I also have a really great New Mums group who meet every Wednesday which has been great. I think if I didn't have them it would be a different story. Can you join a new mums group? Ours was formed through the Community Health Centre and the child health nurses.

Gotta finish up -computer about to shut down on me - grrrrrrr

Bron

Sign in to follow this topic