Huggies Forum

Decorating a boy's room Rss

Hey all! I am looking for some advice in regard to decorating a room for my sons. I have an eight year old boy, 19 month old boy and one on the way (boy). I will probably put the new bub in with the boys eventually. I have a car theme happening at the moment as my eight year has a hot wheels doona etc. The baby is in a cot with blue blankets etc. I will put bunk beds up eventually for the older boys and a cot for the baby. I want some advice on a theme that will cater for such a broad age range and will not be too expensive. I like the car theme and am willing to revamp it even. We are renting currently so am limited with what we can do but the room is very nuetral. Please share your advice..

p.s. For all those feeling sorry for me having three boys and one room, it is a large room! I also have a four year old (girly) girl and my eight year old says it looks like barbie has exploded in her room!!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi there I'm sorry I dont have many ideas but I'm sur if go some display centre's you may get some idea's or even on the net some where. I to are renting so you are limited in what you can do. I have twins that are 5yrs boy-girl and nearly 6 month old boy.
Bikes go well with cars and can find cartoon things that will fit with both. I find boys are hard to please when it come to that.
Hanging mobil's help as they only require tiny hooks to hang them and I found lots of kids all ages like them wether they are babies or older.

Good luck Di SA
Thanks for your reply. It is a bit hard to approach! I have since decided to expand the car theme to a transport theme with road sign type decorations and even Bob the Builder stuff for the little ones. Because my eldest is at school and the smaller ones won't be, I'm going to gear it a little more for the small ones. My eldest son is pretty easygoing and thinks this is fine. Hanging things from the roof is something i hadn't thought of and now might go for some planes and helicopters and things. Very clever, thanks.

Hi all,

surely you have to incorporate Thomas the Tank Engine in there some where. My boy is mad about him and all his sidekicks. We have posters, stickers, bed spreads, the list goes on. We then have to mix it up with a little bit of Thunderbirds and Bob the Builder. I can't say the colour scheme all works together, but he is as pleased as can be. An interior designer would fall over with the shock.

Bye for now.

roy,mumof2,nsw

I can't say I'm too concerned about a potential feature in Better Homes and Gardens! I think that with all of those themes, Bob, Thomas and the like, the colours are all pretty much primary based anyway- red, blue, yellow. Thomas would be a great hit here too. Because my eldest is eight and my next was a girl, I haven't had Thomas stuff around for a while. My youngest just gets what we still have in the toybox and Bob the Builder because it wasn't around for the eight year old! My youngest, 20 months, will be thrilled with a bit of thomas as he loves trains and all things with wheels! Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what I do.

we put up a picture rail so its easy to change pictures etc without puttimg holes in hte wall

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

That makes a lot of sense. Might think about that type of thing to be able to change the look of the room without too much damage or cost!

Hi I'm in the same boat- renting and thinking about decorating our boys room for when we finally move him out of our room (its just so convenient for the night feeds!).

I've been told that at hardware stores (like bunnings warehouse) you can get decorating stickers that stick on the wall and come off without damaging paint. Also, if you can't put wall hooks in, try command adhesive hooks. They're made especially to be removable later.
I also read that you can buy cloth at the fabric store that have say, cartoon characters or bob the builder, cut them out and use liquid starch to 'paint' them on the wall. They stick and apparently just come off with water.

Hope that helped, let me know what you do. His room is pretty small, I think the challenge for me will be fitting everything he needs in it!

Bek, single mum to Xander(4) & Rohan(1)

Sign in to follow this topic