Huggies Forum

Attn maori mums and dads Rss

I have a 4 month old baby girl whos biological father seems not to want much to do with her at the moment. He is maori and I would like to bring her up to have some idea of her roots. Are there any maori traditions or customs that I should know about, or even beliefs or traditional stories?

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

I am part Maori and am expecting my first child in 2 weeks. Although i have not been really involved with Maori traditions, i would love to hear if you have found any as i would love my child to learn as much as it can about its history! I found a website that you might like:

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/9338/culture.htm

I had a look and liked it a lot,
Please feel free to e-mail me @ leanne_williams_1983@hotmail.com

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

Thanks for that, I haven't really found any customs or traditions yet, everyone I talk to says it depends on his iwi and of course I know very little about his background so that's no help,I don't even know where in new zealand he comes from.
Erin

Hi Erin,

I'm glad to see that you are giving your child the opportunity to experience his fathers heritage, even if he isn't a part of the childs like.

I am Maori and proud and it is such a beautiful culture to be apart . Where ever in NZ he is from, doesn't matter, Maori tend to follow the same traditions, just sometimes it is varied.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Michelle

Devron born 25wks 2002, Jayden 38wks 2003 & Manaia

Hey, guess what!!!!! I've just met one of the fathers second cousins (over the net) who is apparently the keeper of his familys whakapapa and has welcomed me with open arm into the family so I should be able to find out a fair bit now. Cool

There are heaps of traditions within the Maori culture. My husband & the father of our two girls (3yrs & 6mth) is maori. I myself am still learning alot about the maori culture. The once major thing that we are preparing for is what Australians refer to as a christening or baptism (depending on the religion). Well in the maori culture it is so much different. There is alot more meaning to it. We have to arrive at the 'marae' (family meeting grounds) before the 14th day of the month. We must wait at the front gate until we are invited in by the family ancestors. We must then all sit on special allocated seats whilsts the traditional welcoming is performed. It is not a quick process like ours are. You must stay at the 'marae' for 2nights. Selected families members will work in the kitchen & feed all that at present. There is heaps to learn about the maori culture. I have found most information I need on the internet & then I have just confirmed it with my husband to make sure I have got it right. My husband & I have been together for 4years & I still learn new things about their culture everyday. We should maybe join together & share information gathered via email.

Anne, QLD 3yr old & 6mth old

Sign in to follow this topic