6 months +

1/2 cup cooked lean beef mince
1 peeled potato
¼ cup frozen peas
1 peeled carrot
1 stalk of celery
1/4 cup uncooked macaroni
4 cups of water 1/4 cup formula or breast milk
WASH the carrot, celery & peas thoroughly.
CHOP carrot, potato & celery very fine.
SIMMER veggies in a small saucepan for 20 minutes.
ADD macaroni and cook for 10 minutes longer or until very soft.
COOL until able to handle.
DRAIN veggies
MASH or puree veggies & beef with formula, breast milk
SERVE, refrigerate or freeze.

Hi Elle,

The book I have is `Baby abd Toddler meals' by Robin Barker. The recipes are very similar to the ones you posted, just a few differences. Do you freeze the cheese sauce? I am going to try a muffin recipe from my book as soon as I get a muffin tin for little muffins. If they are a hit I will let you know. It is too hot at the moment (in Melbourne) to do much cooking so it may have to wait until next week.

Ta

Danielle

Danielle, 28, Vic, 1st son born 2/6/03

Hi Elle,
I make all my baby's food myself. With the veges, I use different combinations of potato, pumpkin, corn, sweet potato, brocoli, and carrots. I use the potato in all of them, and at the moment she has potato, sweet potato and carrots. I freeze them in ice cube trays. She has 2 ice cubes for tea every night. All you do is chop them up, cover with water and put them on the stove. They are cooked if they crumble when touched with a fork. Mash them and put them through the food processor. Fruit is done the same way, although you don't need as much water with apple as there's enough moisture in them to start with. As baby gets bigger, use the same sort of methods, but you can make it with more lumps. I can't help you with meat, as she hasn't started on meat yet.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Hi everyone, thankyou so much for your great ideas, they are much appreciated. I am writing them down. When I come across any and try them..I'll post them on here. My latest is 'Tuna and Rice' whipped it up yesterday for us and Zach.

1 tin of tuna
2 cups of rice
1 red capsicum
1 tin of diced tomatoes
1 onion
2 cups of grated cheese

Fry onion, tomatoes & capsicum, when nice and soft add drained tuna and mix then add rice and mix until even.
Add half the mixture to a casserole dish and then add half the grated cheese on top. Top with remaining mix and cheese. Carefully add 1 1/2 cups of water, place lid on dish and put in hot oven for approx 40 minutes, after about 30 minutes of cooking, remove lid to brown cheese.

mash or puree to your babys texture

ps..the cheese sauce in one of my above posts can be frozen wink

Hi everyone,

Is it true that I can use full fat natural yoghurt for my 6mth old baby? I have heard that I shouldn't use any yoghurt except for the baby yoghurt. I have looked at Woolworths and Coles but they only seem to have the sweet yoghurts for babies not the plain yoghurts.

Can anyone help?

Sam

Mum to toddler

hi sammie well i just give my daughter them little petit miam yoghurts they are just the right size for her and she loves them.
Hi Sammie,

yes you can use the full fat natural yoghurt. I use it and mix in some mashed banana or cooked apple or cooked pear, any fruit you like. It is actually better as there is no added sugar if you do it this way.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your replies. I will try the full fat natural yoghurt with fruit for sweetness and the petit miam. I forgot to mention that my baby is 6 mths old. Are they ok to give him at that age?

Thanks again.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Elle,
I have a 6 month old son & what I do for him is steam different types of fruit & vegetables & blend them with a hand held blender. You usually need to add some boiled water to make a smooth consitency & then freeze them in individual snap lock bags (don't forget to label what's in the bag & the date it was cooked).
I've been giving my son, potato, pumpkin (butternut pumpkin seems to be his favourite), sweet potato, carrotts, zucchini, apples, pears.
You store them in meal sized portions so all you need to do at meal times is grab one out of the freezer & defrost it.
I usually mix a few different types of vegetables together, so he's getting all of his nutritional requirements.
Hope I've helped.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi Sammie,
I received a pamphlet with a guide to when to introduce foods, and according to that you can introduce yoghurt and cheese from 7 months, I don't follow the guide strictly but when it comes to dairy and eggs I have been a little more cautious and waited till the right age.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

i started my duaghter on yoghurt at 6 mths and havent had any problems.
Thank you all for your replies. I will try the yoghurt, maybe a spoon full with fruit on his breakfast cereal, see how we go.

Thanks again all.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Sign in to follow this topic