Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Travelling with your Children
  5. Long haul flight with a 4 month old formula fed baby

Long haul flight with a 4 month old formula fed baby Lock Rss

We are travelling over to the UK in a few weeks with our baby boy who will have just turned 4 months by time we fly. As he is formula fed, I am starting to get a big anxious about preparing bottles etc. We use a formula that doesn't come pre made so I will be taking a tin, my concern is the water. A few forums I have read have suggested I stay clear of airline boiled water whereas I have read bottled water shouldn't be given to babies (on the NHS website) I am not concerned about heating the bottles. As we are travelling on code share flights I've checked the relevant airline sites & spoke to Air NZ to see can we take water in each bottle through security however they we're quite vague & directed me back to our travel agent. Any help / past experiences would be helpful!
Hi Tracey,

Welcome to the forum. For the flight I would bring your own boiled water in bottles. I brought a bottle of milk on a flight (full cream bc DD was older) and was told as long as the child is under the age of 3 you can carry water or liquids - just remember to follow the rules about how much water you can bring. You will need the airline to heat the bottle up which takes forever but at least you know it's your water.

Another alternative is to start changing the formula to a premixed one and see how he responds to it.

Enjoy your trip to the UK!
From experience you will not be able to take your bottles with water in them. You will be asked to empty them before they let you got thru security. We have had this happen twice. I think the ruling is anything over 100mls liquid is not allowed. On the flight all airlines carry bottled water. I have used that with no issues. Not sure why the NHS are saying that. May have to do with fluoride or something. If we have been away I have always used bottled water if I have not been sure about the water quality or if the taste is different. From experience the water tastes different in the UK and it may take a while for your baby to get used to it. It did mine.

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you for your responses, I was surprised reading what the NHS had said about bottled water too (something to do with sodium levels & bottled water not being sterile?!). Unfortunately little man has bad reflux so changing formula doesn't appeal to us as this is the only formula that works (better than a few others for him anyway).

I think I will fill up the bottles & see what happens at security, I can always buy bottled water before flight & see what options are on board! smile
Just a thought- if they don't let you take your own water on board- ask the attendants to boil the kettle and fill your bottles at the start of the flight- over the course of the flight they can cool and the water is ready? If it's too hot when you need it they could put it in the fridge for you, I would imagine.
Tickled*pink wrote:
Just a thought- if they don't let you take your own water on board- ask the attendants to boil the kettle and fill your bottles at the start of the flight- over the course of the flight they can cool and the water is ready? If it's too hot when you need it they could put it in the fridge for you, I would imagine.

Just make sure that it is bottled water that they boil. Water that is kept in the tanks in planes is not healthy and no one should be drinking it. But you need to make sure as a lot of airlines think that by boiling it all the germs get killed. Just be mindful of that. My DH works in the airline business and you be surprised what they do to save money.

Just thinking if your baby will be four months probably does not need water that has been boiled would just need normal water and you can refill bottles on the other side of security before boarding. Just a thought.

me+hub+3 wrote:
Tickled*pink wrote:

Just make sure that it is bottled water that they boil. Water that is kept in the tanks in planes is not healthy and no one should be drinking it. But you need to make sure as a lot of airlines think that by boiling it all the germs get killed. Just be mindful of that. My DH works in the airline business and you be surprised what they do to save money.

Just thinking if your baby will be four months probably does not need water that has been boiled would just need normal water and you can refill bottles on the other side of security before boarding. Just a thought.

Didn't realise that! Ew. lol.

Good point.
I've found it depends on the airline and who you get at the security gate! NZ to Australia I was only allowed 100ml, on the way back a full pump bottle was fine. When living in the UK I did lots of international flights with babies and they were a lot stricter over there - nothing more than 100ml was allowed on and if formula was premade they made me open it and taste it!

Regardless of the baby's age I've always bought and used bottled water for the flight once thru the security gate as found it's the easiest way to avoid any problems. It's only for 24-36 hours and the extra sodium in it won't cause any upset / harm to bubs and they've never seemed to notice any change in taste.

I'd never use or trust the airlines water unless it was for heating the bottle.
I agree with nurse Nellie, I have found rules with babies vary depending on who you get (things like taking the stroller to the door of the plane and having them return it to you at the door versus it having to be checked etc too. It has changed every time I have flown.

With the formula every time I have gotten on a flight with a baby the flight attendant has gone and got me a large 1.5l bottle of water for us (often without me asking) and I have used that for the bottles (it's still been sealed when they have it to me so it's actual bottled water not tap refilled). I have then either given the milk room temp or had them heat it but generally if bubs will take it room temp it's WAY easier. Lol. By the age of your bubs I wasn't really using boiled water anyway, just warm tap water which saved on heating time etc. smile
Hi, we traveled from NZ to USA and Fiji when my bub was young, we were with Air NZ, United Airwarys and Fiji airways and they all have same rule which basically is that you can take as much as you need for a baby so long as it's a reasonable amount for the length of the flight. We took heaps!! As I wanted to be prepared for meltdowns and to help with sucking during landing and take off etc, we had no problems at all. They were really lovely and helpful.
Also I was recommended to have Rescue Remedy with me to calm her incase we really needed it, we didn't in the end but nice to know it was there in case, it's completely safe to use and you just add a few drops to bottle or straight into mouth. Good Luck and have fun..
Thank you all .. I feel a little more at ease now! Being a 1st time mummy I am no doubt panicking for no reason..I'm stressing more about the water than the flight itself / a jet lagged baby wink Will look into rescue remedy & I will be staying clear of the air plane water ..bottled all the way.

I shall let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again grin
I wouldn't worry too much about the flight. That's the best age to travel with them. They're easy to fly with at 4 months. smile and I also found jetlag not a huge problem when they were having naps. So sure it will all go fine. smile
Sign in to follow this topic