Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddler Accessories & Equipment
  5. When to start using a booster seat?

When to start using a booster seat? Lock Rss

Hello

my little boy is 15 months old (he is a pretty big boy) and I was just wondering it says you can start using a booster seat from when your child weighs 14 kg which he would

is it okay to put him in a booster seat now?

thanks

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melissa,

Most sites I've looked at emphasise to go on their weight, which as you said is 14kg.

Just to be sure, you can call this number :
1300 655 443
which is the NRMA Child Restraints hotline, and they should be able to head u in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

you can also buy an harness for the booster seat i got 1 from big w for $45 . my son has been in a friends one for some time as some times we go out in her car so ryan uses her daughteers booster with the harness

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi
I've seen booster seats that are like a carseat but they can be used as a booster seat as well and they are safe for younger children to use as well but I'm not sure what there called.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

hi

There is the maxi rider seat which is from 8kg to 26kg

You can see it on www.babycity.co.nz under carseats.

I was looking at getting one for my daughter wher the new baby comes along, she will be 2 but shes still too small for a booster seat.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Thanks everyone

Our second baby is due in march so I am going to try and hold out a little bit longer then buy a booster seat for our little one!

thanks again

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

The biggest problem I had with putting my twins in a booster seat, was they could undo the seat belt too easy.

But they have used them since 15 months old
Hi Melly

I've recently started using a booster seat for my son who is 22months old. I think you need to make sure that your child knows that they have to stay still and not try and wriggle out of there seat. I think I could have waited a little bit longer for Hayden but now he's in it so I'm gonna stick with it. But I think maybe you should wait awhile longer for your son.

Seeya

Jess

Jess,WA, Baby Hayden

i have the harness for my children they work great its up to you if you want to use one i started with both of my kids at 16 months when they got to big for the baby seat

mum to 3

My advice AS LATE AS POSSIBLE!

My SIL is a Dr and they had a 2yo boy bought in last week that was in a booster seat he had been thrown from the car when his grandmother forgot to put the handbrake on and the car rolled down the hill into another car.. He was badly hurt and the person in the other car was actually killed.

My daughter is also a big girl but she will be staying in a car seat as long as she will fit in one!

Mel, Mummy to Krysta 07-04-04 and Chloe 10-11-06

Hi,
I got my safe and sound maxi rider fitted today. My daughter is 23 months but on the 95th percentile for height and weight so would have been ok weight wise for the normal booster but the maxi rider is safe from six months can recline if you want it to. It takes no more room infact it is less bulk than a normal booster. The advantage is it a standard childseat seat belt meaning they are a whole lot safer it converts to a standard booster after 18kg (I think). It is supposed to take them to 7 or 8 yrs old. The slots for the seatbelt go up higher than on the car seat - great if your bub is tall like ours. We trialed one when our daugher was put in a cast for her hips at six months and it was great. The downside is they are more expensive at just under three hundred dollars, but since we have our second due in 6 weeks it will be used again.
Cheers
Bec

Bec, NsW, charlie 5, AJ almost 3

Really try and put off a booster seat as long as you can. Organisations like Kidsafe really recomend that you go to a booster when they are too big for a car seat. my boy 2yrs 3mths is in a Safe n sound maxi rider it is shaped like a booster but made of the same stuff as a car seat and has the propper harnass restraint. in an accident there really is no substitute for a propper child restraint. The maxi rider is awesome.
Sign in to follow this topic