Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Stepdads Rss

I have a 4yr old son. My partner and I have been together since he was about 18mths old and my partner treats him like his own. But my son (just lately) has started being so naughty with my partner, getting smart, not listening to him. We also have a 1yr between us. My 4yr old doesn't have anything to do with his biological father and he does see my partner as his father. When my partner gets home at night after work, James (my 4yr old) turns into this different kid. He turns smart, doesn't listen to either of us and runs around the house acting like a tornado. Does anyone else have similar problems. He is starting to send me around the bend - he can be a really good kid during the day and then at night he turns into this little demon.
Maybe he is jealous - he feels your attention turn toward your partner when he comes home. I find that we expect our kids to be quiet so we can ask our partner how their day was ra ra ra. Try having wild time for 5-10 minutes when your partner gets home and play chase or hide and seek . Get you son to hide as your Partner is walking up the drive and he has to look for him - it makes you r boy feel special and makes him centre of attention for a little while
Doesn't seem like anything to do with your partner not being his biological father. Just attention seeking. After spending the day with you and having to share you with the baby he must be excited when your partner comes home. I agree that it would help if your partner gives him some one on one attention when he gets home. My daughter's only 14mths old and an only child living only with me so I haven't had to deal with this situation with her but I have noticed that when I have taken care of my neice and nephew when they were your son's age, they did the same kind of thing when their parents came home. They were little angels for me (well, almost) but would do everything they knew they weren't supposed to as soon as their parents came home. They grew out of it. Good Luck!

Lucy's Mum

I AGREE, MY 3YR OLD SON DOES SOMETHING SIMILAR BUT ALL HE WANTS IS ATTENSION FROM DADDY SO WE HAVE DADDY PLAY WITH HIM FOR A WHILE DADDY ALSO TUCKS HIM INTO BED AND HE'S PRETTY HAPPY AS HE DOESN'T GET MUCH ONE ON ONE TIME SINCE WE HAD THE TWINS

BUT IF DADDYS TOO BUSY OR TIRED WE MAKE IT MUMMY-RICKSON TIME BECAUSE THE BABIES ARE USUALLY IN BED AT 5:00PM SO WE GO FOR A WALK & TAKE A BALL TO KICK ALONG THE PATH (AROUND THE FOOTBALL FIELD).
HE LOVES THIS TIME!!!!!!!!

Tanya, had 3 boys under 26 months

Hi kiwigirl, My name is Nancy, i have a 20 month old son son who has no contact with his real father either, i do have a b/f though and he treats my son like his own as we have been together since my son was 10 months old. My son went through a stage where he hated his stepdad and wanted nothin to do with he would hit him throw tantrums and stuff but eventually he got through it and noe he loves him to death. So i am sure he is just testing you guys to see how far he can get. I hope it all works out for you though.
Sign in to follow this topic