for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. Ahhhh bitting and scratching!

Ahhhh bitting and scratching! Rss

My darling 14 month old son as started to bite and scratch me, it hurts and how do u stop it?

Emma 31/7/03, Daniel 11/1/06

Put him in timeout every single time he does it. When my dd was that age, timeout was the hallway, with the door open. She'd come back straight away, but if you remove them from your presence every single time they do it, they soon get the message that it's not allowable behaviour.

Good luck!!!

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

We tried a few things with no luck. We ended up having a good chat to DD's carers at kindy and come across a really good method that we have used for a lot of DD's not so desirable behaviours, one being biting.

Basically, when she bit me (us) we would yell 'no/ouch' and put her down very swiflty and walk away. We would leave her alone for at least a minute, she would normally have a little cry (normal). We would then go back and sit down and talk about biting and how it hurt etc, make her say sorry and all good.

Why its effective as they usually bite for attention or say a toy from another child. Most people pay attention on the naughty kid, which is what they want. So if you totally ignour them, lavish attention on the hurt child (if they bit a kid) - the message sinks in really quickly.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic