Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. My toddler is a biter and won't stop

My toddler is a biter and won't stop Lock Rss

I am desperate for any advice/suggestions my little innocent gorgeous 18month old just won't stop biting other kids even babies, its like he gets on a high everytime he bites a child and its not always for a toy either. There is incidents where a little girl would be minding her own business playing on the otherside of the room and he'll run up mouth wide open and just bite her.Why why???? I am a first time mum and I am lost on how to tuckle this, everyone tells me to bite him back so he knows how it feels but he does it when I am not there or I am scared that he'll do the opposite and think well Mum does it then its ok. I have hit his hand when he did it and all he does then is learn that habit and use it with someone else(so that did not work), I yell - he does not care, he doesn't even get upset. Then there is timeout or removing toys but after he does it he is on to doing something else not what he originally bit for. Is there anybody who had to deal with a biter too? I am scared to put him with kids cause all he does is bite and I can't not have him interact with kids!!! what do I do?
Have experienced similar situations, except my daughter was the bitten child.Happened at about 2, when child who was her best playmate started doing this. My son at about 2 1\2 started hitting other children. In both cases it was a case of the more physical child being lesser skilled vocally. They couldn't verbalise their wants/needs/desires fast enough or well enough, so stopped trying after a while and would go straight to the physical. In my daughters case, as her friend grew older and his vocal skills improved, it stopped.With our son, it continued for a while because we discovered his verbal skills weren't developing due to a slight hearing loss. We worked on hand gestures, taking an adult to show what was wanted, carring around a picture dictionary (cards laminated with pictures on them.Some things that we were advised to try:Reactive strategy of ignoring him totally after bad behaviour, all attention being focussed on the hurt child, removing them to another area for comforting, tell the victim they need a special treat and without any comment to the biter move off. No eye contact with biter, taking care not to discuss offending or responses in the child's hearing (sometimes it reinforces the inappropriate behaviour). Proactive/Preventative strategy is to give the attention seeking child (offender) at least three minutes of undivided attention as he/she plays appropriately during the day. Approach the child as he/she is playing well and comment on the play with as much personally positive language as fits the situation. e.g. "You are filling the bucket with sand. It is full up. I like the way you let J watch you. Good sharing with that spade".
Sign in to follow this topic