Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Jelousy Rss

Hi i have a 3 year old and a now 8 month old and my 3 year old loves my little one sometimes to much. Is this his way of showing he is jelous of her? He gets to the point where he is uncontrollable, he won't listen to me, he never stops doing thing when i ask him to. Is he reacting to the new baby or is he just being a 3 year old little boy? If there is anyone out there that can help me please please please reply. I have tried sending him to his room, taking toys off him, turning his favourite tv shows off and still nothing changes. I need more suggestions.
Hi. I have a 3 1/2 year old nephew whom I have recently started to look after during the day. He was at first quite uncontrollable around my 1 1/2 year old but I have found that by giving him some responsibility with her (eg. showing her how to do things, showing her how toys work) has really worked. I have also tried to spend some quality time alone with him as a way of rewarding him for good behavour and that has worked better than any punishment for bad behaviour. There is still occassional 'bad times' but time-out usually fixes it. He is now helping me to toilet train her and helping her to pronounce difficult words. He has turned into a great little helper. Hope this helps a bit.

angelTL

Hi Sandie, I have only just joined today, Don't worry he is just being a 3 year old boy, my almost 3 yo boy has been going through terrible 2's since the day he turned 2, I think 2 and 3 year olds aren't meant to listen to their mother, mine is an angel for everyone else, I think I would fall over if my 3 year old did as he was told the first time instead of the tenth.

Michelle, 2 boys, 2 3/4 and 17mths

Hi, I am a new member but can relate to your dilemna. I have a nearly 2 1/2 yr old son and a 7mth old daughter. My daughter loves my son to death although sometimes I don't know why! Having just gone through christmas has made matters worse because now he expects to be able to play with all her toys as well as his own, but will not reciprocate. Through experience I know that this is normal but it is still very hard to cope with some days. Tantrums are very common in children of that age and I have had more since my little one came along. We make an effort to spend quality time with him when she is asleep and emphasise all the things that he can do (and she can't) because he is our big boy and it works most times. He knows now that if he throws a tantrum to go to his room and comes out when he is finished. All children need boundaries and need to know what they can and can't do, and are trying to assert their independence when challenging these. One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to be firm, fair, and most of all consistent. Ensure that your partner/family are also willing to go along with your rules. Hope this helps. Just remember you're not alone!
Sign in to follow this topic