Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Night Drinking Rss

I have a 19 month old little boy, who has been known to drink up to 2 litres a day. But still he wakes of a night time wanting to drink more. Does anyone know how I can stop this?

I have tried letting him cry to see if he will go back to sleep, but with 3 other people in the house I get voted out on that issue, but he will carry on for atleast 15-20 min before I have to get up. I have also tried putting a non-drip cup in with him so that if he wakes his drink is there, but at night he seems to only want a bottle.

The only time he sleeps through the night is when he is unwell, and when he is I do not hear a peep out of him till the morning.

I hope that there is someone out there that can give me some good suggestions.
Hi Debbs,
We're just trying to break that routine too. Our dentist was really upset when I told her about our daughter's nightime drinking habits. She suggested giving water only once in bed (their teeth rot terribly) & as much as my daughter carries on, we're sticking to it. In her mind only a bottle will do as a drinking cup is for the day time so I put water in it & leave her to carry on. She'll either eventually get it or fall asleep.
I hope I have enough stamina to persevere through this change with her as so far it's not been easy.
Best of luck,
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

hi debb. my bubs was doing the same thing for awhile. i put rice ceral in the last bottle for the night. it feels the tummy up for longer sometimes i evan put an extra scoop of formula in the bottle to. kayla sleeps from 7.30 til 9.00 in the morning now. i hope this helps. bye all the best

KORINA, WA, 9MTH KAYLA

You really need to get him out of the bottle thing because (as already mentioned) its really really bad for their teeth.

The bottle is a comfort thing, which you've probably already identified, so you might need to replace it with something else. For example, when he wakes up, give him a soft toy to cuddle or something like that. (I saw this work in a video I watched on breaking bad sleeping routines in a babies)

You probably need to do some form of controlled crying - which isn't - as most people think, just letting your child cry themselves to sleep.

Here's what I suggest (modify it to suit you):

Let him cry for two minutes (don't let him get too wound up). Go in and comfort him - give him the toy, say some comforting words and then leave. Studies have shown that after 6 months, actually having the parent in the room to help the baby settle will make the child more unsettled. Wait two minutes, then go back - do the same. Wait 4 mins, then go back - do the same. 6 mins, 8 mins and 10 mins. Do the ten minute gap twice and then get your child up and have a cuddle. You deserve a break. Then start again. In this video that I watched, the child was 18 months and it took three nights to crack the kid. Then he slept all the way through. No guarantees - its was a hard three nights - but its worth it. It also might take more than three nights - maybe up to a week.

Its a problematic solution, given your sleeping arrangements. Perhaps you could ask for a little understanding - or stay somewhere else, or maybe even go to a sleep clinic.

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Sign in to follow this topic