Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Sleep Rss

I have an 18 month boy who constantly fights going to sleep. Regardless of how tired he is he will continually try to get off his bed, make silly noises and horse around and/or yell and cry. On the worst nights it can take 2 hours to get him to sleep! We have a "dinner - bath - drink with a story - into bed" routine and have tried relaxing music and aromatherapy but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any tips on how to make bedtime less stressful?
Rowie,

My son is only 14 months old, but we had a nightmare bedtime routine before we did the dreaded 'sleep training'. It was a horrible five days. Lots of screaming, tears and temper tantrums - and that was just my husband and I!!

We used to pander to his every bedtime whim. And so began the circle of problems. He knew we would react - whatever the behaviour. The only solution we found was leaving him to cry it out. First five minutes before going in, then 10 and so on. It was one of the hardest things we've ever done, but well worth it. He now goes to sleep unaided and sleeps right through.

Let me know if you have any questions.
l

Lovebeingamum, 14 mth old baby boy

Rowie,
Sleep???What is that. Jokes. Our 15 month old son is breast fed to sleep when I am around. He is in day care 5 days a week and has no worries about going to bed for his Day Care Mum. Just lies on the mattress and off to sleep. But I am a human pasifier. We have his cot attached to our bed and he sleeps relatively well. Maybe if you lie in the dark with your little one will feel secure and drift happily off to sleep. Sorry I just couldn't fight my instincts to go to him when he cried. So "sleep training" wasn't for me.
What ever your comfortable with is what you should do.
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.

QLD 15mth toddler

hi i have a 13 mth old and she is constantly up she is hyperactive,not in a bad way but it acually means that there always on the go! the best thing i found is keep them up all day and as long as you can at night. keep them amused so the wear out. hope i helped!

kris,sa 13mth bub

Have you considered food intollerances?
Maybe something he is eating or drinking in the afternoon is putting him in a hyperactive state.

My daughter Maddison was shocking.

We could not get her to sleep, everything was on her terms. Controlled crying DID NOT work for us. Even with back up support from family, this technique didn't work (she would exhaust all of us a long time before she looked like going to sleep).

We did the same as you, a definate routine every night - dinner, bath, drink, story or cuddle and bed. Then we'd spend the next 3-5 hours re-settling, putting back to bed, calming, ignoring, reading every book available on settling techniques, and spending a lot of time on the phone to tresillian (we should have got frequent flyers points for it).

After a while we were at our wits ends, and nobody could offer a solution. I started doing a little research of my own, and after visiting a naturopath, we discovered she was lactose intollerant, protein intollerant, and a little later on we found she is intollerant to MSG and colourings.
Since changing her diet, we have found her to be a completely different child (we have always had a fairly healthy diet, but you would be surprised at what there is in most healthy foods - even some veges and fruit).

Maddison is now 5, she survived and so did we. She still has her bad days - and we usually find when she does, its because she has eaten something she is not allowed to, or because she has had a late night and hasn't had enough sleep.

We aren't strict with her diet, just sensible, no junk food after 4pm, nothing with red colourings, nothing with MSG or additive 621 (this seems to be what a lot of children with behaviour problems react to).

There are places (such as naturopaths and health food shops) where you can have a sample of urine tested for different food intollerances (I believe there are other methods as well).

I hope you find this information helpfull.

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

We went through that stage at I think around 18 months. TO be honest I can't really remember what we did, but the point is that we did get over it, and none of us have permanent scarring!!!
i was at my wits end with my little boy so i rang a clinic about what to do with his sleeping and i just had to give control crying a go. 3minutes then 5 then 7 then 10 then 15 then 20 then start again if it doesn't work the first couple of times soft music relax before going to bed, warm baths, cuddles and kisses what every slows them done. it is really hard to start with but it worked for. We still have bad nights actually but not every night. i actually know what 10hours of sleep is.

Tracy, NSW,12mth & expecting

You poor thing. As someone who survives very poorly on anything less than 6 hours a night I really feel for you. I have been very spoilt in that I have had relatively little problem with either of my girls (6 and 1). However, that isn't to say I have never had sleep issues, especially with my first when she was only a newborn-6months (mainly around day sleeps though). My only suggestions is that you purchase a book called Solve Your Childs Sleep Problems (Dymocks stocks this in Aus). It is a really helpful book and it explains the nature of sleep, which is very interesting, and then suggestions for different sleep issues.

I'd suggest you start on the road to good sleep patterns now. I have a friend with a child similar age to my eldest and she doesn't go to bed, I mean to sleep, till sometimes 10.00pm. Whilst this might work for that family it is not the ideal situation for any child. (ps. in regard to one suggestion given that you keep your child up all day so they are worn out at night - this can have a reverse effect where the child is so hyper that they still can't get to sleep - best just to get some really good habits going asap for all your sakes).

Good luck.

mum to 1y/o & 6 y/o

I have never had a problem getting my boy to sleep he'd sleep three times a day if I let him, but I quiet often look after my friends 20month old girl, whom they nurse to sleep every night. I think this is ridiculous. It's great that you have a stable routine I think that really helps. If controlled crying doesn't do anything but stress you out then I don't suggest continuing it. I do suggest you try a little drop of lavender oil on the childs pillow and perhaps just sit on the edge of his bed for a while when you put him to bed. Does he still sleep during the day???? Also a loud ticking clock in his room should help him to relax as they just lay there listening to the repetative sound and before you know it they're asleep.

Nicole, Bayley 3 and Jordan 18mths

my little girl RENEE about 6-8 mths whenshe would not go to bed.that went on for a mth and i got sick of it,i went out for the nigth and my partner put her to bed, she cry for 2 hours then went to sleep or nigth.she is stilling doing it now and she is 11 1/2 moths now.
keep trying and get your partner to put him to bed and you go out for a few hours.
GOOD LUCK

kirsty, new zealand

Have you concidered seeing a homeopath?

Our daughter would go to sleep well, but would wake anywhere up to 6 times a night. I somethimes took over an hour to calm her down and get her back to sleep. We tried controlled crying 4 times. It would take a week to work, then only last 3 nights.
Then I was recommended a homeopath. He looked at her personality, life history, pregnancy and delivery history and wathed her play as well. We began to see results instantly and now 3 mnths later get to sleep at night.
Hope this helps. Give it a try. And one of the good things about homeopathy is that there are no side effects of the remedies. (ps; its different to a naturopath)

anna, chch,17mth girl

Hi we found that we would have a screaming match with our son at bed time( who is now 2) and found the best thing was just to let hi fall asleep on a blanket or mattress on the flore watching tv with us. Now when hes tired he gets his pillow and curles up on his little lounge-fold out bed ( the ones from targrt or kmart) and he goes to sleep without the fuss. And when hes old enough to realy understand to go to his bed when he tired he will. I dont see why we have to have the fights he falls asleep we put him to bed and thats that
hope this might help anyone

Michelle,QLD,5yr boy & 2yr boy

Sign in to follow this topic