Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Night terrors Rss

My 2 yr old has started having night terrors. Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can stop them and/or calm her down while she's having one?

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Hi Pete, My little boy has had these since he was about 1 month old the Pediatrician says it is probably because he had a traumatic birth. It is pretty scary , I don't know what your little girl does but our little man starts breathing heavy and grunting and if we don’t get to him soon enough screaming like he is in pain or something terrible is happening. If we get him at the heavy breathing stage then we can normally stroke his face and talk soothingly too him and he calms down, we do this for at least a minute after he seems to be calm and most of the time it works. For the times we don't catch it soon enough we usually have to wake him and talk soothingly to him. We say things like you are safe, mummy and daddy love you, we know it is scary but you are okay and things like that. My husband also has these and both "my boys" have the exact same reaction though with hubby I have to wake him up or he goes on having it. On some occasions we have found the only thing that gets rid of them is to let our little man keep having it, which is really heart breaking. We stay with him and continue doing the calming things and it eventually subsides and he goes back to a peaceful sleep. I hope this has given you some ideas. Also has anything changed in her life or happened that has scared her, as this could be why they have started. I hope they go away soon and that you will be able to get her through them in the mean time.

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

Camryn's night terrors seemed to start when I was heavily pregnant with my second. She has a great relationship with Gabrielle (who is just 10 weeks old) but is having problems with me. She now bites me when she doesn't get her own way (which I believe is age appropriate)and she's really whingy all the time which I'm sure is due to the disrupted sleep. She normally suffers these terrors while we are asleep so we often don't get in there fast enough as our doors are almost closed so that Gaby doesn't wake her when she cries out in the night. If I'm awake when they start I find, as you said, that a soothing "shhhhh" seems to be all she needs but if we don't get there in time it's hours of screaming. We were up for 2 hours with her the other night and even though we managed to wake her and put her on the toilet twice, as she said she needed to go, gave her a drink and read her a story with loads of cuddles in between, she would just start the uncontrollable screaming again when we left her room. We gave up in the end as we had met all her needs but nothing was working and she cried for another 45 mins before finally falling asleep. The only other thoughts I have of what could be behind this is her day care. I couldn't tell you what happens there but we generally have had a negative response regarding Camryn's behaviour each day for the last six months. A lot of it is expected 18mth-2yr old behaviour (I've talked to a professional about my concerns) but I believe the carer isn't comfortable with this age group as there is another child (4mths younger than Cam) there who she also has problems with. The carer seems to have a wonderful rapport with newborn-18mth olds and then from 3+yrs but I've concerns with her coping with the demands of the 18-36mth age bracket so we will be leaving and going to a new carer soon. I guess that all this has started to weigh heavily on a little person's shoulders even though much of it has been occurring in the adult world without her direct knowledge.

Hi Pete, I hope things are getting better for Camryn and that she hasn't had a night terror for awhile. From you reading this post, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your concerns towards day care. Why I say this is because there is a career at Joshua’s day care that doesn't seem to be comfortable with the littler toddlers but is great with the 3 and ups. What I have found interesting about this is Joshua doesn't seem to be comfortable with her either, he cries more if I have to leave him with her then any of the other careers. Don't get me wrong she is a great person and we get along really well, but she is definitely suited to the bigger kids. He also had his first night terror in weeks last night and coincidence or not, guess who his main career was yesterday. Anyway must go the wise guy is awake from his afternoon nap, 1 hour early mind you.

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

Hi Piglet,
Thanks for the message, it's nice to know that other children react to their care too. Camryn is still having terrors but they seem to be less frequent and far less stressing than the one we had a couple of weeks ago. I think the fact that we've finally come to the decision to move her, reduced her hours, started her at pre-school and are finally getting better sleep now that baby Gabrielle is 11 weeks old and responding to the reflux treatment is all helping in Cam's favour. We are finding that she is very tired throughout the day and I've started to put her to bed earlier for her nap but I can't get the carer to do so as it doesn't suit her. She always wakes Cam up in the afternoon just before I get there and you can see Cam's desire to go back to sleep. I wish the carer would start the sleep earlier so that Cam could get the full amount that she requires.
I'm glad we've only got to wait until the end of September before the holidays start and then the new carer begins in November. This will give us 2 weeks at home with her and 3 weeks with family members when I return to work before she goes into the new care placement. I'm hoping the 5 weeks will be enough for her to stop asking for the old carer. I'm dreading the possibility that the terrors will flare up again due to the changes.
I'll keep you posted.
Peta

Hi Everyone,
Just an update. We have been to the Allergy Clinic at Royal Prince Alfred & they say that night terrors are classic symptoms of food intolerence. We have a whole heap of other symptoms too & are now heading down the track of an elimination diet to try to work out the triggers.
I'll keep you up to date on our progress.
Peta

Sign in to follow this topic