Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Toilet Training Rss

I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old that are not completely toilet trained. We are fine when we are at home. I am nervous about being out and about has anyone got any suggestions?

Sometimes I have to admit I do leave them in nappies because I have a 10 week old baby aswell and I am just too tired along with having Post Natal Depression to deal with it all I am wondering if this may have a long term effect on them?
You shouldn't feel bad about that! I have a 3yr old girl & a 2 yr old boy & I'm sure my daughter would be toilet trained by now if they hadn't been so close. I feel slack sometimes, but I was too tired and busy when she wanted to come out of nappies (15 months old she kept running to the toilet but I was having trouble with my son at the time). Now I'm having trouble cause we've got builders here so she'll only use the toilet when they're not around.
You have HEAPS to deal with - DON"T let anyone pressure you. If you get in a situation where you're nervous/under pressure that transfers to your kids & they will feel the same. You could try pull-ups when you go out but they might treat them as nappies. Good luck, look after yourself FIRST cause they need you to feel good!

Susan,NSW, 3yr&2yr olds

Thanx for your response Holly, all is going well now, I have 2 boys practically toilet trained. Except now, my 2 year old is petrified of doing number 2's on the potty or toilet and I need to put a nappy on him before he goes to bed just so he can do it, and then have to change him within 5-10 minutes so he can go to bed. I am putting up with this so that I know that at least he is clearing himself out each day, but I wonder if you have or if anyone else has experienced this and have any suggestions, I have tried chocolate, lollies, reading stories, hiding him away somewhere so no one can see, sitting with him. Someone suggested using a supository however that word is spelt but I don't think that is a wise idea just yet. It seems to be one delima after another, and lots of bad spelling for me.
try making game of it Tanya. lots of praise etc. Perhaps try sitting him on the toilet if he is telling you he needs to do poos. and try taking his mind off while he is on toilet - works wonders.

mother of 2 Joshua 03/04/2000 & Matthew 12/05/2003

In reply to Tanyas letter back in March.I'm wondering how you are doing now?I also have 3 boys under 3 with slight PNDand feel terrible because my 2 year old is probably ready for toileting but i just don't have the time to train him. Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

brisbane, QLD

Hi j.l.h
I was going really well with the toilet training but now we have moved house just 2 weeks ago. They love the new house, there is so much more space. But both are now weeing in their pants at home and at childcare (1 day per week). Apparantly children can regress so I am just persisiting. Toilet training is the worse thing in the world. I wish I could pay someone to do it for me, because I would as it is just so difficult with a 7 month old baby who has severe Ezema and always cries because he is in pain. Life just was not meant to be easy. I cannot wait until my baby is 1 and running around after his brothers, life will be easier then. Right now I have no suggestions on how to make it easier, how old is your youngest?

Has anyone got suggestions on what I can do to help my boys get back to where they were before, I have not put nappies back on them, i just thought I would go back and act like I am training them from the start again?
Prepare your child by reading to him/her books such as “I Want My Potty” by Tony Ross and “Max’s Potty" by Harriet Ziefert or “All By Myself” by Dr Bill Gillham. Have your child watch members of his/her family go to the toilet,

2. Prepare the items you will need, such as large knickers, wipe cloths, a doll that wets itself and a sturdy type potty chair, or make your house toilet suitable with an insert seat and steps or a box for your child to stand on.

3. Allow one day uninterrupted to teach your child to teach the doll to go to the toilet and then teach him/her the steps involved to go to the toilet. (As per this article.)

4. Praise your child enthusiastically whenever he/she does anything and clap and cheer when he/she actually urinates or does a bowel motion in the toilet and/or potty chair.

5. At the end of the day when your child is successfully toilet trained or the next day have a celebration and give your child a Certificate of Accomplishment.

It takes time for a child to grasp the connection between the urge to urinate and urinating itself. Once the child understands that urinating is under their control, toilet training can advance in leaps and bounds. However, bedwetting remains a problem for many children. Instead of waking up to go to the toilet, a bedwetting child sleeps on while the muscles of their bladder relax. It seems that the brain doesn't receive the urge to urinate from the bladder.
One in five preschoolers and around ten per cent of all children under the age of ten years still wet the bed. There may be as many as 100,000 bedwetting Australians at any given time, including a small proportion of teenagers and adults.

Your child might feel shame and distress
Bedwetting isn't a disease, a psychological problem or a response to allergies. It isn't caused by laziness or naughtiness either, so punishing a bedwetting child doesn't do any good at all. Bedwetting is part of a natural process of physical and emotional development. Some children develop control a little later than others. It is important to be patient and sympathetic, since your child can suffer distress and embarrassment about bedwetting. They might refuse to go to slumber parties, school camps or other social events.

Be supportive
Some suggestions on helping your child to stay dry at night include:

Be patient, calm and relaxed.
Never punish them, yell or show disgust or disappointment.
Use a mattress protector.
Get them to help you to remake the bed whenever they wet to foster a sense of responsibility.
Praise them when they wake up with a dry bed.
Don't restrict their fluids.
Don't wake a sleeping child to take them to the toilet yourself.
Don't embarrass your child by talking about their bedwetting to other people.
The pad and bell method
One way to help your child become aware of urinating during sleep is to use a pad and bell. With this simple system, a bell rings and wakes the child once the pad is wet. Over a period of a few weeks, the child gains greater bladder control until they are consistently waking up to go to the toilet. It is best to use this under the guidance and supervision of a doctor. There is also a special nasal spray that your doctor can prescribe that has been shown to be effective in helping children with bedwetting.

Relapses could be a sign of stress
If your child has been dry at night for some time and suddenly starts wetting the bed again, this could be a sign of stress. Children commonly wet the bed during times of emotional upheaval, such as divorce, death or the addition of a new baby to the family. This needs a different approach. Encourage your child to talk about their worries and try as a family to address their concerns.

Sometimes children who have been dry relapse for no apparent reason, and no source of stress can be identified. They may wet on an occasional night, or for a period of time, and then stop. If it persists, treatment may need to be started again.

hi tanya,

you could have a reward system on your fridge like a calender and everytime they go to the toilet they get a star and if they make a mistake they get a red dot and if they can complete a week with all stars they are rewarded with a toy even if its just a small match box car or a little cheap doll. but i think they will be fine as soon as they settle in, but it might take some time.
Hi Holly My name is sue I have 3 kids under 5 years old. I live in NSW I would love to be your e-mail pal. My e-mail is susiesmile@optusnet.com.au I would love to hear from you. I love to chat about anything, problems or just general stuff.
Please e-mail me.

sue keeffe.

Sue, NSW, 3 Kids

Hi Sue My name is Judi and i am about to embark on the toilet training era. As mother of 3 i'm sure you would have some good advice, so i would love to hear from you for tips, and support along the way
hope to hear from you
Judi

Judi,NSW, 2 boys under 2

Sign in to follow this topic