Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Climbing stairs Rss

I have 2 sets of stairs in my house and would like to know how other parents have 'taught' their children to go down the stairs. Going up is no problem. My 15 mth old is quite proficient at that! Going down he would just try and step off if I let him. Any advice would be appreciated.
hi there. we have lots of steps outside but none inside. my son goes down backwards and crawls up forwards. my daughter does the same as your son an tries to goes forwards so I just turn her around and show her the backwards way.. she is now getting the hang of it that way... but I always surpervise when they attempt it on their own. I would think by now that your son has mastered the art of stairs but thought I would reply anyway.

Tracey,twins b&g 4yrs

My son first went down the stairs by just stepping off the top one into space. what a mess.
The easiest way is to teach them is to go down backwards the same way they go up with their hands on the stairs too.
Our house has lots of stairs and he wears his little turtle hat most of the time just in case.

jacks mum

Thanks for the feedback, though we are finally mastering the art quite well now. He flies up the stairs on hands and feet and up until a couple of months ago, I would go down on my backside step by step with him. Now I am 8½ months pregnant so thats a little difficult for me. He walks down now and up holding my hand and seems to understand when i say I cant carry him.
Braden's mum
put him ontummy and pull gently by feet soon they learn to go down our sons did this since about 12months except the yuongest he is a bit lazy

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

my boys were actually abot 9 onths when they masterd it but the youngest bumps down facing forward holding my hand

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic