Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Look at me I am Superman Rss

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice, hopefully before my adventurous 17 month old breaks a bone. My little "Superman" has recently discovered jumping off things is a great game. We have had to put our dinning room chairs into the spare room when he is around as he has taken to climbing on the table and jumping off. Thankfully he hasn't had any serious injuries yet but I am sure it is only a matter of time. He also jumps off our lounge chairs and coffee table and anything else that is too high for him to be jumping off. We have tried time out (it worked for playing with power points and the heaters), rousing on him and ignoring him but nothing seems to work. We don't play any games were he is allowed to jump off things and we catch him and never have. Even at the playground or pool he has to sit down on the edge and we take him from there. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks and Happy Parenting. :~

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

Hi Piglet,
A possible answer for your situation is to try and barricade off one room in the house for your son to play in. Seeing as the climbing is a problem, remove as many temptations as possible. We had problems with Cam (2yr old) and found this was our only solution. We fenced off the lounge room and left her with only the lounge and toys she couldn't climb up on. Once she realised life was boring and she wasn't allowed to have the run of the house, the behaviour started to disappear. We too used time out and were quite unsympathetic when she would fall and scare herself (we cuddled her while repeating "See what happens when you climb. It's not a very nice feeling is it?"). We have been really lucky that there have been no serious incidents but she has done a few backflips off the lounge with a degree of difficulty of 2.5, landing flat on her face! It's really quite traumatic but the only other thought I can offer is vigilance and persistance.
Best of luck,
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Hi!, we too have a little 'Superman'. From a very early age he climbed up on things, and more recently, he's taken to jumping off things. The 'don't do that' verbal approach hasn't worked, so we've opted for the 'distraction approach'. When we see him climb up onto something we distract with something else he's really motivated by - then we add 'now carefully climb down and come over here'. If follows the cues, he gets the 'motivator' - if he doesn't we try to ignore (and not reinforce) the jumping. Our little man was doing it generally for our benefit. I think he loved the shocked surpirise and action he got from it. I also had suggested to me that we have a purpose built piece of equipment that jumping could be appropriate from (beam into sand, small tramp) and to build this activity into a routine so that the child became familiar with and looked forward to this time. We haven't done this, instead my husband makes special jumping time - yep, they go to the bedroom and bub is cued with 1-2 -3 and he jumps ito hubby's arms and is them given a 'whizzy-round' too. From time to time we do here a little voice saying 2 -2 -2 and we intercept a jump - but it's not too often now. Our son is now 19 months. Hope this helps!

Louise, Finlay (4 Feb, 02), Mackenzie (18 Jan, 06)

Thanks Pete and Louise, I had 3 jump free days last week, funnily enough these were the days he was at day care. I know he jumps of the side of the sandpit into the sand and of the balancing beam to the ground or into the sand. I think I will try having special jumping times with him and see if it works. Fingers crossed. A friend says that he will probably grow up to be stunt man or his hobbies will involve sky diving or abseiling. Ah, I love being a Mum, we have so much to look forward to.

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

Aren't little boys wild? You could use a little turtle hat then you don't have to worry about head injuries on furniture. I ahven't found a way to stop him jumping off and on furniture. I just try to make it safe for him. I want him to have fun so I don't want to restrict him too much.

jacks mum

Sign in to follow this topic