Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Your Safety Tips Rss

What a great resource Huggies Mums are, on all sorts of topics. Can you share any safety tips with us that you have picked up on your journey as a parent?

Here's one to get everyone started. Get a chair and drag it over to a cupboard (don't let them see you otherwise they might think it is a good idea)then work out what they can reach and if it might harm them.

Looking forward to hearing some of your safety tips.

Cheers
Lauraine
If you have a balcony, make sure that your child can't drag anything over and climb up and onto the railing. Sounds pretty obvious but when you're on holiday they all have furniture on the balcony.

tired and feeling old

Make sure you have no coards or ropes or leashes hanging anywhere around the house.

Especially those ones that come with blinds. Also the verticle blinds should be removed when baby starts finding his movement. Those and hanging coards can be one of the biggest danger for a baby finding his movement.

makse sure all ropes and dog leashes are in a locked cupboard.

And Have your mobile phone or hand held/ cordless phone, either on you or within arms reach as much of the time as possible, even in and around the house.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Joanne try and get a hold of this weeks thats life or Take 5 i cant remember which one sorry. But theres a device called MickeyHaha mentioned in there i think. Or do a search for the prodcut online smile

Also when out and about in a crowded area (tourist attraction or the like). Instead of writing your phone number on your todders arm, Write on a business sized piece of cardboard, your name and phone number and explain to your child if they cant find mummy, go to the nearest shop and give them the card.

Also when we went to sea world last time, i acutally pulled up an employyee (asked if i could borrow him for a second lol) and showed my children the uniform to look out for if they did get lsot ie someone wearing those clothes.

He was pretty good about it too and suggested that its something more parents should do.

And in tune with that. NEVER write your child's name where it came be seen or place a tag on their shirts with their names on.

Bolt book cases to the wall so that they can not fall onto your child if for some reason they decide to try and climb it - ie to reach something that is on a higher shelf.

mum to 2 girls

After buying new socks, check for any threads inside, and cut them off to stop getting wound around your child's toes. My aunty told me this after she found her daughters toe purple because of a long thread inside the sock had wound itself around her little toe.

Rebecca, NZ, Boy born 30/10/03

to keep your fridge door closed to little hands who like to open it and play inside get a big piece of elastic and tie it around the door then lift it up to the freezer part when you want to open it or get some double sided sticky velcro and stick it to your door it is hard for them to open as when it is pulled it wont open it has to be lifted off
If you have a floor oven that your child can touch (like at my mothers house) We peg a bath mat to the bar infront of it so little fingers cant touch it...

Hi,
I want to re-paint my home and my daughter is 14 months, obviously I will take her to my mum's for the day but what paint is not toxic?

Julie, NSW

Murobond is the name of a non toxic paint (and no smell) that my husband who is an architect suggested; he is always raving about how good it is.

Joshua born 7/3/07

Sign in to follow this topic