Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. Sick 2.5yr scared of sleeping by himself

Sick 2.5yr scared of sleeping by himself Rss

Hi Everyone,

My 2.5yr old son has been sick recently with an upper respiratory tract infection. He developed external manifestations of the infection and this meant his ears became very very red and very swollen and painful. It is all pretty much cleared up now and he is feeling much better (thank god! - poor little baby). However since he has recovered he will go to sleep in his own bed but wake up after a few hours and won't go back to sleep in his own bed. For the past few nights he has slept with my husband and I and is so restless that I cannot sleep. In the past 3 days, I have had a total of 5 hours sleep and I'm exhausted!

Does anyone know how to get him past this point? He gets hysterical if we try and settle him into his own bed so for his own sanity we have let him sleep with us. I need more rest though as I'm 27 weeks pregnant and exhausted without this added pressure.

Please help. Thanks for any replies.
Yvette
Hi Yvette,
does your son's bed have enough room for you or your husband to lie down with him until he goes to sleep? Just let him know that you will stay with him until he falls asleep but you are then going to your own bed. That way he knows you wont be there if he wakes up. Otherwise let your son sleep in your bed and you lie in his so you can get some rest.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Yonny,

Luckily the last two nights have been hassle free. When he was having problems though he wouldn't let us touch him unless it was to carry him to our bed. I tried lying with him but he wouldn't have a bar of it. It seems as though he had problems starting at around 10.30pm every night and then just wouldn't settle. Now he is back to sleeping through the night but requires a night light left on (never seemed to bother him before). Still I'm getting more rest which has to be a good thing! Thanks for the help.

Yvette
My 1 year old Maya has slept thru the night since 7 weeks but lately she's being a monkey. She's had tonsillitis then 3 weeks later she had croup, When she's sick I give her a bottle when she wakes at night, but now she's better, what a mission to get her to sleep thru. last night she woke twice, the first time I gave in and fed her but the next time I left her and she cried for 1/2 hour before goig back to sleep. I feel really mean, but it's the only way she'll learn.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Emma,

My son also has slept through the night since he was 7 weeks old. This last problem was brought on by a bout of sickness too and it has taken a couple of weeks to settle down. He is now pretty much back to normal though so it takes time. I find it really hard because I work full time and am nearly 28 weeks pregnant so I need lots of rest! Still you do have to be firm. My husband is the main problem as he can't handle it when my son gets upset but in the end he realised that being firm was the only way, and low and behold, my beautiful son starting sleeping through again - no problems! Still isn't it horrible when they cry?

Good luck.

Yvette
Glad to hear things have settled down in your house. Maya has been sleeping really well lately too.
I had such chronic morning sickness all thru my pregnancy that I don't know how I would cope being pregnant and chasing a toddler. I don't know how you manage!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Emma,

I'm glad that Maya is now sleeping better, it really does make a difference. For a couple of weeks there I was a zombie and was finding it really hard to cope with all the demands on my time. I ended up feeling really upset all the time. Now that he is back to sleeping through, I am much better and able to cope (at least most of the time)!.

I'm finding it OK at the moment with dealing with everything that I have on. I'm kind of used to feeling tired all the time and manage to just do what needs doing. I really really want this baby so I'm kind of prepared to do whatever it takes. I only had about 4 weeks of morning sickness to deal with so that makes it a lot easier. If I was really sick, I don't know how I would have coped either!

Anyway, really pleased to hear that Maya is back on track.

Yvette
Hi Yvette,
glad to hear things have settled for you. don't worry about the night light, at least he is sleeping. I have an 8yo and she still has a night light.
get plenty of rest while you can, before the workload doubles lol smile

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Sign in to follow this topic