Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Soy formula - Soy Milk?? Rss

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on weather it it is ok to give soy milk to my 1 year old or should I stick with the infasoy progress for the next year.
What do other parents with cows milk intollerent children give them?

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

my son is one week away from been 1 and we have slowly introduced soy milk we just dillute it a little with water and he is still on his infasoy formula and he is doing well he is also having soy based yoghurt its called so natural and he loves it so give it a go and good luck

narelle vic.3yr old.and 1yr old

too much soy milk isnt good for a male becaue it has eostregen in it it is fine for a female but becareful not to much for a male.
Hi there!
Neena has had straight soy milk since 11months, she was never keen on soy formula, i weaned her from the breast at 8months.
She has soy yoghurt, normal cheese, soy milk with meals, and now heinz organics has soy custard.
I think you'll be fine as most health sisters and doctors agree that we are told to continue with formula untill 12 months because it means they sell more tins and make more money! The same goes for the amount in each bottle, 180mls is fine all the way through babyhood after 6 months.

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

It depends why you are giving soy as a dairy alternative. If it is because of dairy alergy or intolerance talk to a health professional first as 50% of babies who are intolerant/allergic to one are also intolerant/allergic to the other. I would definitely stick with the infasoy. My daughter is facing the prospect of staying on her formula until she is 5 as she can't have milk or soy and rice milk doesn't contain enough nutrients for children under 5. She is on a prescription formula called PeptiJunior

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi emmy-lou

Aimee is slowely growing out of her intolerence to lactose as now when we give her small amounts of milk she doesnt react like she used to, I am slowely introducing more dairy foods into her diet and she seems to be coping well, Infasoy is so expensive so I will be glad when she is off it.
Its lucky we have these options with formula now.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

My son is allergic to dairy products. After I stopped breast feeding he was put onto Infasoy. (from 7 mths) He is now 2. My health nurse adviced me to keep using Soy Formula until he was 2, as that way I'd be sure he was getting all the nutrients he needed. Now that he's turned 2 we are slowly weaning him of the formula onto soy milk. We are doing this by gradually adding soy milk to his formula, as soy milk tastes alot different to soy formula. Its definetly working.
Before you start on soy milk read all the information on the packaging. You will notice that some of them have recommended ages from which to start using their product. Also compare different brands, as they all have different nutritonal values and all vary in taste. My son is drinking So Good.
You'll probably also find that buying soy milk won't be any cheaper then buying formula.
emmy lou who told you that there wasnt enough nutients in rice milk i know there is little but the nutriacian at the RPA hospital in Sydney put my guys on it and they are 2 so who was it that toild you they shouldnt have it under 5?
Maya ses an paediatric allergist ( a fancy name for an expensive doctor that tells you things you already know and then charges like a wounded bull lol) and he said no rice milk as a sole milk substitute until after 5. I use some rice milk to make custard etc. for her because pepti junior doens't seem to thicken or set, but he said she needs this formula as a main drink to get enough fat, calcium etc. Her formula is heavily govt. subsidised we pay $14 for a weeks supply instead of $90 without a Health Funding #. She gets a HF# because she has tested positive for cows milk and soy allergies.
Interesting tho that your nutritionist has told you rice milk's okay. I have found that I get all sorts of conflicting advice from different drs, dietitians, health nurses etc.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Sign in to follow this topic