Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

formula to cows milk Rss

Hi there. My twins have just turned one and I am keen on starting them on cows milk. How do I go about introducing it into their daily bottles? I am also abit wary of them becoming lactose intolerant or having allergies because of cows milk. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks

Tracey,twins b&g 4yrs

Hi. I just one day gave warmed cows milk instead of formula and had no problems at all.

My son loves milk and he still drinks heaps of milk even now that he's 3.

I guess just give it a go and see how they take it.

Good luck

Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Same with my son, I just started to give him cows milk one day instead of formula and he loved it just the same! He too is 3 years old and loves his milk, especially his hot choc milk at night!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

If you are worried, you can add cool boiled water to the milk so that it's not that heavy. Or add formula to cow's milk. Half of each.

I introduced my daughter to cow's milk when she was 8 mths old. I added a bit of warm boiled water to her weetbix and added about 60mls of cow's milk to make the rest. It was fine.

Then shortly before she turned 1, we finished her last can of formula and decided then to put her straight on Cow's milk and it was fine as well. In fact, I found she liked the cow's milk better and would drink more of it. Now's she's nearly 16mths old and still drink milk without any problems.

Patch

Pat, Vic, Toddler

I did similar to Patch with my daughter when she was one, except that I added just a bit of cow's milk to her Farex porridge. With her bottles I added 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula for a few days, then 1/2 of each, then 3/4 milk to 1/4 formula, to just milk. That way I was able to monitor her for possible allergies (has none, thank goodness!!!). She too, likes her cow's milk and drinks it like it's going out of fashion!!!

Angela, NSW

I decided to go with half formula and half cows milk and then slowly reduced the formula that way. It has worked so far. I was a bit wary at first because they have been on formula most of their life. Now they are on full strength cows milk and love it. I have noticed a colour and texture change in their nappies but they seem happy and healthy so I wont worry so much at the moment.
Thanks all for your help

Tracey,twins b&g 4yrs

hi my daughter is 18 months old. she dont eat much at all she only drinks her milk. she is over 15kgs fairly chubby so noone is worried about her everyone but out family doc anyways. he says milk si the best thing for her. i have not given her any cows milk as yet. when she turned 12 months old i started buying sunshine milk (full cream powdered milk) for her. i like it much better its easier to make when its needed. i have also bought a baby toddler milk tin for her to give her, her daily needs in vitamins and crap....

narelle

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

try a half bottle of milk and top with formula so they get used to the taste might take aweek or so its much cheaper than frormula too!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hi,
i added some boiled water to both of my kids milk bottles the get them use to it. then after a few days reduced the water. i only did this as to make sure they didn't get constipated. my son would drink 2 litres of milk a day now if i let him. he was 10mnths when he went on to cows milk and my daughetr was 12-13 mnths.

trudy,nsw,mum to kai 5 & chelsea 21 mths

start with a half bottle of of formula and top off it with milk and then slowly just use full milk then they will get used to the taste just warm the milk a bit

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic