Huggies Forum

Toddler Won't Eat Lock Rss

Hi

I have a 20 month old son. He refuses dinner each and every night. I have tried so many different things, and presenting in different ways but he won't have a bar of it.

He will eat bread and potato chips, that's all.

He has 3 weetbix for breakfast. He attends a child care centre and won't even touch his lunch.

I am at a loss as to what to do with him. He has always had trouble with weight and it's very concerning that he won't eat to put weight on.

Shar, 23, Melbourne

I feel for you as I totally understand.

I am a bit better off as my 21 month old son will eat a few things more.

He eats weetbix, cheese, bread, chips, yoghurt, ice cream and biscuits! Oh and any junk food his cousins, aunties, uncles and grandparents give him sad

Like you most nights, 5 out of 7, he won't eat dinner.

Lunch is also a problem.

Breakfast seems to be his thing, he rarely knocks it back.

I too have tried many things but he is very stubburn and honestly only eats when he wants to.

I don't have a weight issue as he has always been big for his age, I think he is about 15.7 kgs now.

Tristan has had skin grafts recently and I'm sure that didn't help his eating as he cut out bottles whilst in hospital.

Our family doctor tells me not to worry as they will never starve themself.

I have no idea really what to do!

Samantha.

Tristan's Mum

Hi,
I'm an aussie living in greece and have the same problem with my 20 month old son.

I have expressed my concern to his peditrian- yet he tells me not to worry. As long as my son is still having milk - then I shouldn't worry. As he will have days when he wants to eat (due to a growth spurt) and days were he mearly scrapes by on very little food.

Meal times seem so difficult.

I must say that over here we don't have ready made food for babies (like heinz). I visited last year - and my little boy loved it.... no problem eating in Aus.

It's nice to know that I am not the only one with a son that doesn't want to eat. My son weighs 12 kilos - and is 87cm in height - so I think he's doing okay. I just wish meal time wasn't so frustrating for us all!

Cheers,
Samantha

Samantha

Hi Mum2BJan,
Im having the exact same problem with my son! hes almost 3 and has done this ever since he was born and as a result he was not breastfed because he would just go to sleep all the time!. I have just this second had a 2 hour struggle! to get him to eat his tea! its not that he doesnt like it he just doesnt want to eat although he does not like much at all anyway!!
He has been an absolute dream child in every other way - sleeps unbeleivably well!, took only a week to be fully toilet trained etc but this food problem is driving me nutts!!!!!!

I hope someone can help!

Amber, DS Bailey 09/03/04 & DS Astin 04/07/07

HELLO THERE I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING MY 2YRS OLD BOY IS THE SAME PLUS I WORRY ABOUT HIM HES GOT SMALLER KINDNEY THEN THE OTHER HE IS VERY SMALL FOR NEARY 3 IN APRIL CAN ANY ONE HELP ME ON THIS ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GO WITH YOUR LITTLE ONE LISA
Hi
same promplem for me, my baby is 17 mths and was 8 weeks premmie so she is always tiny. my mother care nurse said swap it around so dinner when he wakes sandwish for lunch dont worry if he wont eat his sandwish and youghurt and fruit smothy for dinner hope this helps it works for me
Sign in to follow this topic