Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. I was told not to give sausages, sausage rolls and nestle yoghurt

I was told not to give sausages, sausage rolls and nestle yoghurt Lock Rss

Hello

I took our little boy for his 18 month checkup at the health centre now bearing in mind he has always been a healthy size his height and weight are now on the 97 percentile of both charts!

anyway the health nurse said to me not to give him sausages or the sausage rolls I make for his lunch or the nestle yoghurt you know the one that comes in 6 packs as winnie the pooh etc!

Well usually he has 1 sausage once a week and eats about a quarter of the sausage and they are the ones from the butcher! and the yoghurt I did buy him the jalna one but there is not a huge difference with the sugar content compared to the nestle one!

oh and I have been told not to give him the heinz yoghurt fruit fingers (which are so handy when we are out and about and my little boy gets hungry)

I was just wondering has anyone else been told something similar to me?

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melly, what was the reason she gave you for this? As I've never heard that before either.

JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi Melly
I'm taking Josh for his 18 month check up next week so i will see what they say then.
Josh doesn't like sausages or sausage rolls but he has 2 yogurts a day and 9 out of 10 times it is the nestle one.

Haylee, Vic, Joshua 27.06.03, Caitlin 11.03.05

Hello

she was saying the nestle yoghurt has too much sugar in it! and the same with the heinz yoghurt fingers they have too much sugar and salt in them.

hmm, ok .. will have to check, what about the sausages?

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

same reason too much salt

i would not woory too much about what they say one week they say oh dont eat this..... it causes this and the next week its the best thing out! if you cut out everything that has too much this or too much that you will be left with hardley anything to feed you child! everything in moderation and if your child is having a balanced diet then you shouldnt have to worry about the odd sauseage roll ect just do what you think is right!

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

Do your own research on these products is the best way.

Does anyone remember that baby that was about 4 months old who died from a salt overdose from eating a breakfast cereal similar to weetbix??

It was a couple of years ago in England i think.

I worry more about the salt and preservative content of foods than i do the sugar myself.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Hi
Josh had his 18 month check up today and when i told the nurse that he has 2 yogurts a day she said that it was fine.

Haylee, Vic, Joshua 27.06.03, Caitlin 11.03.05

Hi Melly

I personally don't see the problem with what you give your son - my daughter has a sausage once a week (I buy low fat and salt sausages) and eats whatever we have. I always try to keep our diets balanced and I think that is what is important - as long as that is happening I can't see anything wrong with a sausage and yoghurt.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hey Melly,

The advice you were given does sound a bit strong. I agree that provided you're keeping their diet balanced it should be fine. I have been told that too much sugar or salt can be a problem, (their kidneys aren't equiped to handle it) but it's mainly things with a lot of this added. I no longer add any salt to my cooking (my hubby and I put it in after if we want any) and I do tend to avoid give my bub many sweet things that aren't really necessary - though she still have the occasional treat (ie litte square of cake or something). Ally also has sausages, just no all the time.

The main difference with the sugar in yoghurt thing is where it's coming from. I also get Jalna (and to be honest, hadn't actually compared the sugar content) but I get it because the only thing they use for the sweetness is fruit juices rather than actual added sugar. that is just my preference though.

I also agree that the 'experts' are so often changing what is and isn't ok to eat that it's hard to keep up, but I think it's just a matter of us using our common sense. I have noted recently though that there is starting to be a lean towards the thinking that it's a lot of the added sugars in things accounting for high rates of obesity and not so much the 'fats' as everyone is led to believe. A lot of things that are labled 'low fat' are actually very high in added sugar to compensate for taste so it's something ot watch out for.

Have a great day.
Smiles!
Shanna
Hi Everyone,

I've been told that where salt goes water will follow ie. the kidney's and if their is a lot of salt the body needs water to flush it through the system. The trick is the kidney's like to have some water on reserve. If there is not a lot water passing through it will retain whatever it gets and that's where salt can cause problems. So my rather long winded response would be that if you are balancing the salt content with water they should be ok.

I'm not sure about how sugar goes through the body but you have raised my curiosity and will find out.

Shanna good point about the "low fat" foods having more sugar. Most health bars contain the same or more sugar as a bar of chocolate! Now we're completly justified in having that kit-kat instead!lol
Sign in to follow this topic