Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Popcorn Rss

Hi there,
I have a 2yr old and thought I'd try introducing popcorn, but worry about the risk of choking on the husky bits etc...can someone enlighten me on ages they introduced popcorn to their children...thanks in advance.

Jods, NZ, 2yr old boy

Hi mum of one

Must admit I only introduced it about 1 month ago ( because I forgot about it!!) and Daniel is 2yrs 10 months.

He is fine with it - he has to sit down to eat it still for fear of same - chocking, but he has the sense to spit out hard bits.

Cheers

Louise, Vic, mum of Daniel almost 3yrs

Hi, M
y son is 15months and loves popcorn, my sister intoduce it to us as she was giving it to her 18month old when we were visiting, but my son has nearly all of his teath.
my 2yr old has had it but i read some where to wait till 5 , same as nuts for the choking hazard

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi there,
My nephews were eating some and when I wasn't looking, gave it to my daughter. She was 18 months, and loved it. She had no problem with it. Just make sure your little one doesn't get the harder bits.

Lesley, VIC, Mieke born 06/04/03

Hi. Just thought I might add - not so long ago another Mum in our Playgroup put me on to a product called Puffed Corn. It is sold in a large bag looks and tastes just like popcorn, just without the hard kernelly-bit. My son is 15 months old and loves it. He was always interested in popcorn when I was eating it, but I was a bit nervous about giving it to him in case he choked. I know Woolworths sells Puffed Corn (usually in a large-ish size bag), in the health food aisle. Hope this helps....

James' Mum

My son got introduced to popcorn at about 15 months, I was a bit dubious, but my husband keeps eating it, and as you know, if Mum or Dad are eating it so will the children. We haven't had any problems (touch wood), but when you get down to it, any hard food is a potential hazard. He had no problems with uncooked carrots, so popcorn was probably even easier than that

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

When ever you think your child is able to cope with something like this, as you can see there is a verying range of ages people have intruduced popcorn into their chidlrens diets. Mine started at 12 months and i was very wary but as said above, moneky see monkey doo. we jsut NEVER leave her unsupervised eating that or many other foods.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

TitanicMum,

Hi, just wanted to say THANKS for mentioning the Puff Corn. I noticed it on the shelves when shopping which rang a bell about reading your post. I decided to give it a try and am really impressed by it! Jaida looooves it ... but she has to be quick to eat it before dad steals it all, lol (it's a hit with the big kids too), and tastes just like Honey Smacks, yummo. Great product!

JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

TitanicMum,

Hi, just wanted to say THANKS for mentioning the Puff Corn. I noticed it on the shelves when shopping which rang a bell about reading your post. I decided to give it a try and am really impressed by it! Jaida looooves it ... but she has to be quick to eat it before dad steals it all, lol (it's a hit with the big kids too), and tastes just like Honey Smacks! yummo. Also it's all natural with no added salt, sugar, colours or flavours which is a bonus. Great product!

JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi all, another great corn product that my 12mth loves is "Corn Thins". Similar to the rice thins (rice cakes but really thin) but made of corn and taste just like popcorn with no hard bit's at all. With a smear of philly cream cheese it makes a really nice snack. It's generally in the biscuit/cracker section of the supermarket.

Might just have one now! Jo.

Jo, Sydney mama of 2 boys

i agree with u with the corn thins and rice crackers. he just breaks them up and eats them put anything with them he will be happy. u could also try tuna with the philli just for a little variety and they are also getting their fish as well.
Sign in to follow this topic