Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

do toddlers eat salad? Rss

I have to admit that I haven't actually given this a real attempt, but just occasionally I have offered my 20mth old a piece of lettuce or tomato and he spits it straight out (we have some texture issues). I would like to be able to give him some salad to have with his meat, especially when we're having a bbq for dinner ourselves with meat and salad so I don't have to cook something else for him. What are others experiences?

Carina, NSW

Hi CC

All I can say is GOOD LUCK both my kids did the same & my son now 5 still won't touch it. If u find away please let me know.

Bec
Hi CC
I have given my daughter who is 18mths old most salad stuff,most of the time she does eat it.i give her cuccumber,beetroot,cheeseand tomatoes.i just cut them up as finger food and let her go.Ihope this helps you.
Regards
Kim

siobhan's mum

Yep tomato is definitely not in for my 12 month old, neither is broccoli! I think it's probably both texture or taste.

Things that do work is cooked carrot sticks (I havent tried raw ones yet). Cheese fingers. Finger slices of cucumber. Corn kernels (tin variety), but half of those end up in the bib! I'm yet to try beetroot (freshly cooked).

You probably do, but give him a variety on a plate & let him feel them & finger feed himself. If he doesn't seem to like something keep offering every now & then but not too often.

good luck anyway...
Tastes do change...

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

last yrear my 3 yr old wouldeat cucumbre, lettuce and green capisicum this yrea cant get him to touch it my nephre is 4 and likes all sald stuff inlidung gerkins and ovlies

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi , i've found that when i chop lettuce tomato and cheese into small pieces, my son James ,14 months will usually eat it with his fingures.Sometimes he spits out tomato skin, so maybe peeling would help

marianne, Qld , mum cheeky monkey 14months

I found a good way for my 14 month old to eat cucumber - i cut the slices up very thick (aprox2cms)then peel off the skin and chop it in half- she loves it! She also loves grated carrot and eats tomatos like it were an apple! (i don't even like tomato!)She will eat cooked zuchini this way too (cut up like the cucumber however not peeled).

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

My daughter (15 mths) aso loves cucumber, but hates tomato. We went to subway and I bought her a kids pak with ham, tomato and cucumber and she carefully opened it up, took the tomato out, put it back together and ate it!
I've tried her with raw carrot, she loves it grated or in sticks (watch for choking), also beetroot she loves.
Tonight I was shocked that she ate a huge big plate of stirfied veges like bamboo shoots, carrot, beans etc. covered with chilli and garlic! (off my plate, not hers!)
I pretty much just give her what I'm having for dinner, avoiding foods she is allergic to.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hiya,

I must be super lucky, as my daughter LOVES tomato. I pack it off in her preschool lunch box all chopped up and she always eats it.

Won't mention her preference on veges,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

my son will be 2 in nov. he has had a bit of finely chopped up tomato, cucumber,lettuce, capiscum& avocado my older 2 boys who are4 & almost 3 like cucumber, lettuce capsicum the middle one likes tomato but the 4 yr old does not i am making a potato sald for a picnic tomorrow & hope they will eat it

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi carina I'm Bella I have a 17 month old son who I hadn't really tried much with either, yet the other day I was eating coleslaw minus the moyo, when he put his hand in, took some and ate it. And even came back for more until it was all gone.
I read some where that you are supposed to give a child something at least 8 times before you can tell if they don't like it. I'm not sure, I think that like any one, tastes are aquired, or maybe you just like it, or you don't.
But keep trying. I have a 14 year old who doesn't like potatoe or pumpkin, yet I still serve it to him. You never know one day he might start to like it!
Another option is to serve a fruit platter with the BBQ, my kids have always liked that.

Vic, mum of three

hi i havent really tired out alot of salad with my son, but he does like cucumber (he would eat this all day) i just chop up a few peices and he will happily sit their munching on it, he will eat lettuce shreddered in a sandwhich i havent really tried just by its self, he likes pasta salad, beetroot and corn, doesnt like tomato and thats all i have really tried, im going to start trying a bit more soon as when summer hits i dont want to have to cook him vegies every night!
Sign in to follow this topic