Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

"he's so tiny" Rss

My son is only tiny, i know this because everyone keeps telling me! He weighs only 13kg and doesnt even make it onto the percentile chart in the health record book. It is mentioned so often by family friends and strangers, i am tired of giving people explanations and wonder if he is going to be taking this as a negative. He is three and understands exactly what they are saying, and keeps telling me "no, i am a big boy".
I would just respond by saying "no he's not he's a big boy now".
I have quite the opposite problem, my 3 year old is very big (his clothes are usually size 5 or 6) but has a mental age of about 2 so people, including my own dad who sees him everyday, have unrealistic expectations of him.

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

I fully understand where you're coming from. My 22 month old son is 11.5kg. My husband and I are both fairly tall and big and we expected our son to be the same. It's really frustrating when people keep pointing out how tiny he is. He is a really happy little boy and can talk the leg off a chair so developmentally he's doing well. I just wish he would eat and put on weight. I feel his size is a reflection on me (which I know it isn't as I try to offer different and nutritious foods). When he's 16 years old and eating me out of home I guess I'll laugh but for now it's really hard.
I don't think that your son is very tiny at all. I have a 4yr old who is only 10 kgs. My 3 yr old is 10kg and my 19mth is 11.5 kg. And they are are very healthy .

mel, qld, tristan 4

I have a nearly six year old who is short and weighs in at only 14kgs. She is not on the growth charts, but her height/weight ratio are perfect andthat's all that matters - she's healthy. My son is 21 months and 12kg. and nearly the same height as his big sister. I've gotten used to comments by now, and just tend to tell people how old she is and that I think she's beautiful. I'm actually amused by their shocked faces these days!!
i am having the same problem , my son is 12mths old and weighs 8.5kgs. he has always been a small baby everyone comments on how skinny he is . i usually dont have a problem but sometimes i start to feel like i am doing something wrong. hes very active and is a happy baby even though he is small
My daughter is 21 months old and 8.5 kgs!! we have been through the whole doctor thing and she is just fine. so dont worry about what people say wonderful things come in small packages and If they are happy healthy have plenty of energy they will be fine!

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

please do not feel bad. My 18 month old son was wieghed yesterday - 9.7kg. He is my "little man" with a BIG heart. All of our children are unique and those who judge should be ashamed of themselves.
If you are a parent of a twelve month old i would like to get to know you. My email address is gumpnmrsgump@hotmail.com. I am a mum of a 5yr old son and a daughter who turned 1yr on the 16th of March. Email me please and we'll chat.

Ange, 25yrs VIC, 5yr old son & 12mth old daughter

Hi
My 18 month old son is very tiny he is still in size 0 and some things still 00 but we all call him our big boy even though everyone always says how small he is. We also have a 3 year old but he has always been tall for his age.

Melissa
hi
don't worry bout what everyone says just as long as his healthy and eating right then his fine my 18mth old is only 9.5kg my 4mth old is 5kg. everyone tells me why is she so small i tell them thats the way she is. no matter how much more or less they eat if there gona be small there gona be small. when they get older they'll change

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

You are lucky, I am on the opposite end, I am always getting told my 2 3/4 year old son is big for his age. Everyone thinks he is about 3 maybe 4. At birth he weighed in at 11lb 3 oz, and now weights a healthy 20kgs or so. He is size 10/11 for shoes and his clothes are size 4 maybe 5, depending on make. I wouldn't worry about the comments, just ignore them, that is all I have done. Am expecting another one in June 04 and expecting another big one, and I don't care. My son is happy and healhty and eating well, why should I worry about what other people say.

Heather
Sign in to follow this topic