Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. Has anyone had their child in any Montessori pre-schools?

Has anyone had their child in any Montessori pre-schools? Rss

Worth it ?

8 month old

Hi,
I would also love to hear responses to this question. I have two in my area and I was actually going to check them out soon. They both start from 15 months of age. I am not quite sure how they differ from a day care centre except I think they try to "teach" more? Also wondering how the two differ in cost.
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

As an early childhood teacher we studied Montessori briefly at uni. This website explains their philosophy a bit. They are quite different in approach to normal preschools. Teachers need specific training in montessori methods to teach there. There is a big focus on developing the mind and using real materials, teaching children 'adult' skills like setting a table, cutting up vegies. That's just the stuff that stood out for me, I'm sure they teach other stuff too. I used to babysit girls who went to montessori schools and their 3 yr old was so happy that she could help her mum prepare dinner! They were both very advanced girls.

http://www.montessori.wa.edu.au/pdf/methods/method.pdf

Bek, single mum to Xander(4) & Rohan(1)

Not as far as I'm concerned.

My nephew and niece have both attended.
It's $1000 a term, and 3 years worth of 'pre-school' before school starts. My nephew has an IQ of 180, but the social ability of a mosquito! My niece isn't as clever, but still not too shabby, and the same personality.

BIL has already spent $12 000 on my nephews education, and then sent him to the local state primary school, fully aware of his high IQ and special educational needs. My niece is into her 2 year there.

My opinion is, unless they are extremely gifted, and have ample opportunities to interact with children in other settings, it's a waste. Yes, they do tend to be more advanced than your 'average' child, but any kid who has had $12 000 spent on their education before even starting prep is going to be advanced!

My opinion only

PS I also dislike it when children are taught that nothing they say is wrong, as in the case of my nephew. Well, sorry love, but you can be wrong, and i refuse to be told that i'm wrong by a 4 yo (as he was at the time) when i'm certain that i'm correct! I don't mind admitting to mistakes, but i'll be buggered if a 4 yo tells me that we don't call trucks trucks in Australia (He's English and they say lorries)

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Not my own experience, but...

My girlfriends little girl goes to a montessori preschool and she raves about it. I have been to pick her up on one occasion and I have to say that I was impressed with all the equipment and facilites.

Good luck with your decision.

tired and feeling old

Sign in to follow this topic