Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. how many words should a 14month old know?

how many words should a 14month old know? Rss

how many words should a 14month old say?
What r some words your child can say or said at this age.
Hi Kirsty,

At around 14months they should apparently only be able to say 3-5 words such as mumma, dadda, ball, dog etc. When my daughter was about 16mths old .. I took the time to write down all the words she could actually say, as I too was interested in what level she was at, and she could say over 60 words (which I think the average for that age was about 20). She was saying things like:
mum, dad, cat, dog, fish, ball, juice, book, car, block, clock, teddy, cheese, chair, bed, hat etc etc.

It helps allot if you're talking to them all the time - even like explaining what youre doing, how to do things, etc etc. I also read to her all the time which I think also helps allot.

Cheers,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Each child is different, and thers no one rule for talking, a few words is the norm for that age, but some dont start until later.

And remember they learn by us and repition, My 15 month old can say her borthers names, and the dogs name and dadd, and jsut recently learned mum, because they are the most common words she hears us say smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Hey girls, My daughter is 22mths, and she knows quite a few words. When she was 14-15 mths, she knew mumma, nanna, and cat. It took her a long time to learn new words, but she is learning new words every day. She is even learning some harder words like "scissors". She also says, "bobbar" which is her poppy, but because we all call him Bob, she picked up on that. She can say dadda, dog, hat, boot, book, boo, no, yeah..... and quite a few more! I think spending time talking to them and telling them what they are doing, playing with, they learn more. Don't rush your kids to talk, they will learn in their own time. Once they start, they never stop!!!

Allison, Mum of Jazmin
Hi

My 13 month old can say Daddy, Nana, Achoo (sneeze sound), bada (bath time), Aunty, Mumma (only when upset) and Ta (thankyou). Everything else that comes out of her mouth is gobbledegook and while it has meaning to her we have no idea what she is going on about! smile

Ashlee is a quiet girl and I can imagine she will take a while to learn a lot of words. I haven't any experience with this as she is my first child but I can imagine that different temperaments would talk more or less than others.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Also i belive that when they talk and walk and so on, has something to do with their order in the family.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

thats an interesting take on the topic sharon, i've never heard that one before smile

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

my baby has just turned 14mths and i think sometimes she is abit behind in her speaking, but then i no a 3yr and she speaks more than he does!
she says dada (her 1st word) mumma, nana, dog, gone, ta, juice, sic (biscuit), zoe, whats that? (i think!) and every so often i can pick up a few other words. but she might say it once and then not say it again.

Leah and Zoe (2.10.2003)

my boy is 14 mths too - but i am convinced he says no words at all... just things that sound like dadadada and mumamama, he knows what things like the ball and the bath are and his cup, just doesnt talk, babbles gobbledegook, but no words, and i dont think he is abnormal at all...
hey zoes mummy
how are you? i was just reading your post, and my son is exactly the same. he will say new words, but then i can't get him to say them again!! sometimes i wonder if i might be imagining the new words smile but most of the time my partner hears them too ... so i guess its fascinating for them to say new words, but they only say them when THEY WANT TO!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hi Buzzy,
I don't think your bub is abnormal either, all babies are different and absorb and express things in different ways.
Although all the babies in my mothers group are around the same age, some have words, others don't, some walk, others don't etc.
My own 14 month old says a few words but they are different to other kids as each baby has their own experiences.
In no time at all they will all be talking and answering back!!
Sign in to follow this topic