Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

opperations at the age of two Rss

Hi my name is Synni,
I am a mother of two.
My youngest holly has only just turned two and is having her toncils and adnoids out in March. I am a little worried as they said that it can be risky doing them at that age, but they reakon that the toncils and adnoids are causing to many problems and she would be better off without them.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had their children opperated on at this early age and what was the outcome?
thanks
Synni

mum of three girls (99,02,06)

Hi Synni

My son was 12 months when he had his first operation to find a missing testicle, which they found and brought down, and then at 20 months after months of ear infections he had grommets put in. Both operations went well, for a day or two after he just needed lots of cuddles. It was really hard watching him go through both operations, but it was for the best.

Good luck
Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

Hi Synni

My son had his 1st set of Grommets at 11 months and his 2nd set at 21 months with his Toncils & Addanoids out as well & then his 3rd set at 4.5 years it just seems like it is never ending & they think another set of Grommets later this year.My daughter had Grommets at 9 months & has to have her Toncils & Addanoids out when she is 2. Don't be scared to get them out as my son is a different kid & sleeps so well at night now as he used to struggle with his breathing & wake up several times a night.

Good Luck & I hope I have put your mind at some ease.

Bec
Thankyou Tracy and Bec, for your responses.
I am so scared about having holly put under as I also have and older daughter chelsea who is 4. when she had her operation for grommets, addanoids and tonsils she didn't breath when they took her off the machines and couldn't give her pain relief for fear of her stopping breathing again.
She vomited alot of blood and her oxygen levels dropped several times.
But it has been six months since her operation and she is a different child. she now sleeps through the night and no longer snores.
The doctors keep telling me that Holly needs this operation so that she can grow properly and sleep better. but that doesn't make it any less scary.
You are both very brave and a take my hat off to you. I only hope that I cope just as well
Thanks
Synni

i was 2 when i had an eye opperation. a friends daughter had major heart surgery when she was 2 days old. she was 4 pound 2 when she had the operation. the next op was when she was 6 months, 17 months, 3 years and she had one just after her 5th birthday last week. so i am sure your daughter will be fine.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi Synni,
We've been through grommets with our 2yr old & she was bright as a button within 2hrs of the op. We are now biding our time to have her adnoids & tonsils removed as the Dr said the longer we can hold off the better but it is an inevitable fact. We are now under a paed. who has put her onto a strong steroid nasal spray (Nasonex) to help supress the size of our daughter's adnoids & we'll be doing a sleep study before we proceed down the track to surgery. We have many restless nights, a constantly tired child & have had lots of sore throats, sinus & ear infections etc but as we all do, we'll try every non-invasive avenue before we have the surgery. We've even been for a second opinion over the issues.
Don't fret & be brave for your daughter.
Best of luck,
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Peta

As I said in my post earlier my son had his tonsils & addanoids out at 21 months & it was the best thing ever, like u said sleepless nights & one tied child we noticed the difference straight away.
I do not at all regret it & now my daughter has to have hers out later this year when she is 2.

Good Luck with your Daughter

Bec
Thanks to every one who replied. The operation is this Friday the 12th of March so fingers crossed. I will put a post on this subject for anyone who is interested in the outcome!
synni

well we are now home, after Holly's opertion.
She went in at 9:00am and was back upstairs in the ward at 12:30pm. When she was brought up to the room she was fast asleep and slept for most of the next 11 hours only waking up for a cuddle every now and then. She threw up blood about three times and then seemed much better.
Of course she woke up at 11:30 just as I was settling down to sleep so then I had to sleep in with her to kep her calm , everytime she moved about her alarms would go of as she had a oxygen saturation monitor strapped to her foot. She also had a drip in her arm and many pin prickes to show that they obviously had to make several attemps.
Most of the nursing staff were great except for the overnight nurse who complaind about my snoring, saying that she couldn't tell if it was holly or me, but since she was the one who insisted on me sleeping with holly I think she was just being rude, and plus i only snore when i am uncomftible.
Anyway Holly only had one sleep Apnea(stop breathing in sleep)during the night and it was much shorter than any other she has had.
In the morning she ate some weetbix and some orange juice so they said that she was fine to come home after lunch.
We have now been home for 4 days and she is recovering well. She still snores but the doctors reakon that will go away when the swelling goes down, she also has extreamly smelly breath, they assured me that will also fade.
So thanks to all of you for your help.
Synni

Synni

I'm so glad everything went so well & you will notice a huge difference when the swelling goes down as they said.

I hope Holly feels better soon

Bec
Hi Synni,

Glad to hear everything went well, and i hope everything continues to improve for you both.

My daughter had to have an op at 15 mths, as she was tongue tied. It is really very stressful to watch your little one go thru all that,

I am glad it is over now, for you,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Sign in to follow this topic