Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

advanced toddler? Rss

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help.
We have a 2 and a have year old daughter who has just started Preschool 1 day a week. The Preschool teachers seem rather surprised by her speech and how much she knows at her age. We have been told that she is very advanced for her age, and I have been teaching her myself at home since her birth.
She is now 2 and a half, and knows her alphabet inside out, can count to 20, backwards from 10, and do simple addition/subtraction from 1-10. She can also draw people with heads, torsos, arms, legs, hair, and all facial features, and knows her primary colours and the colours made when you mix any 2 of them together. She can also identify shapes and knows the differnce between small, medium and large. Lately, I have been teaching her to write the letters of the alphabet, and she is doing very well although she does get some of the letters back to front, and upside down. We enjoy reading, baking, gardening, and doing craft too.
I am concerned because a friend of mine said that I might be pushing her to learn to much too soon, but I must admit, our daughter often asks us how to write, and what the words in her books say.
We feel that she is developing normally, but are now concerned that maybe she is learning too much too soon.
Can anyone give me some advice on this?
Dee

Dee

Hi there
To be honest with you, don't listen to everything other people have to say. Your child will learn at a pace that they are happy and comfortable at. Sitting down with your child and reading or writing with them is not pushing them. I would be more worried if they could'nt talk or identify colours etc at this age. Keep going the way you are and your child will grow up to be an intelligent, caring human being. But most of all - HAVE FUN!
Hi,
The preschool teachers are right!....you do have an advanced little girl. At 2 1/2 she's she's operating at around the 4 -5 old year level. However, if she enjoys this learning - and you're confident you're not 'pushing' her, then this is obviously her pace. Let's hope that she maintains that enthusiam for learning throughout her school years and beyond.
(...wish she was in my class - I'm a teacher!).
Louise.

Louise, Finlay (4 Feb, 02), Mackenzie (18 Jan, 06)

Hi Louise
Thank you for your reply. Charlotte continues to grow and develop at an amazing rate, and her ability to comprehend things continues to astound us. She turns 3 on August 1st, and is looking forward to her party.
Her latest thing is being able to spell her name which she is very proud of, and she likes to write 'little notes' to her grandparents and friends, and she feels grown up going to the post office to post them - I have to show her how to write the letters, then she copies them.
We are very proud of her, and hope she is always so inquisitive. I guess the next step is finding the right school to send her to. I must admit we don't know where to start. (you wouldn't happen to teach on the Central Coast would you?)
We are teaching her monetary values at the moment, and she gets $5 a week to spend on whatever she likes. Her favourite store is the bookstore, and sometimes the craft supplies, and after that comes the cosmetics store. She is surprising in the sense that she doesn't spend her money on sweets etc. Sometimes, if she really wants something more expensive than the $5, then she will save up for a couple of weeks then go get it.
Parenthood is great, and I know we are not perfect parents, but when we look at our little one, we know we are doing something right.
Once again, thank you for your reply. If you have any advice regarding choosing a school, please don't hesitate to email me at raven_mei@yahoo.com.
Dee

Dee

Hi Dee,

Just sit back & enjoy your time with your daughter & continue to teach her. Looks like she's ready for learning & obviouly loves it so why stop .......!
You must have done something right! Don't worry about what other people say. You know your child best & just do what your heart tells you. good luck

Violet, 20 month old son

Hi. I have to agree with everyone else. I believe my daughter is doing great for her age. She turns three on the 23rd of February. She speaks very clearly, uses her manners very well. When she first started pre-school at age two, her teachers were surprised at how clever she is and how polite she is. That made me feel very proud. Brianna loves to learn and she is forever making up her own songs. Even before she was born my fiancee and I were paying off a teaching aid called "Maths Master". The other half of the teaching aid is titled "Reading Master". Every time Brianna wants to watch a video she always chooses one of three things. Either a reading/maths master video, Hi 5ive or Shrek. We encourage her to learn all that she can. So, I definately agree with everyone else nurture her all you can. Well done!

Tanya, nsw, almost 3 year old daughter

Finally, 'hi' again, Dee!
How was Charlotte's 3rd birthday? Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Unfortunately I don't live on the Central Coast, I'm from the Sunshine Coast. Regarding schools, it's important to find one that has a gifted and talented program. Though they might not cater for ones as young as Charlotte, if they have extension programs in place, then they will foster and develop her strengths. If these don't exist - then consider a composite class. You will know the school when you find it - start looking now. These schools are very popular. My only advise is don't make her travel long distances to school to simply access a program. I see too many young children up here spending up to 3 hours a day on the bus! Your encouragement and home tutoring will meet her thirst for knowledge for some time yet. If you have to settle for 'less' in school programming, maybe consider a private tutor, get her involved in a speech choir, learning an instrument, ballet/sport.
Good luck! You can email me: louiseking@spiderweb.com.au
Keep smiling,
Louise

Louise, Finlay (4 Feb, 02), Mackenzie (18 Jan, 06)

hi my son is eighteen months old and is only saying mamma and dadda everything i read is telling me he should at least say 10 words clearly also frienda of mine seem to be concerned as there children, neices and nephews all spoke at this time I feel that maybe I should be doing more to assist him do you have any suggestions of what i could do to help him to develop his speech? please
My daughter is 14 months old and is also taking her time with speach, walking, teeth (she cut her first yesterday), hair etc. etc. She is very happy and I feel like she knows more than she's willing to let on so I'm not worrying myself about it. It was interesting when a friend pointed out that she was very advanced at this age (as is her daughter) and her brother was the slow one but now she works as a receptionist and he is working in a high paid job and has just completed his second degree (both passed with honours and on the deans list). I think children have minds of their own and choose what they learn and when. All we can do is encourage them and give them oppertunitys to learn. If you want to chat my email address is popcorntoys@bigpond.com.

Lucy's Mum

Thank you for your message. I am trying my best not to worry about my son not speaking yet as I know he is happy it is just when people comment about it that's when I begin to worry I have to remember that all children are individuals and they develop at different stages I just felt that I wasn't doing enough. Anyway how is your daughter doing?
To be honest I believe that your friend might be right. I believe that kids should be kids and not be taught to grow up qicker than what they should. Don't get me wrong it is great that she knows so much. But why don't you give her a chance to be a kid and get dirty. After all she will only be a kid once. She has the rest of her life to be smart.

Boogie 02
Hi Dee,

I was just wondering what sort of things you do with your daughter. We too have a very clever little girl, she just turned 3 but since she was about 1 and a 1/2 people have been telling us how advanced she is (it's hard to tell when it's your first child though, you've got no comparison!). The only problem is, I don't know whether I am doing enough to 'quench the thirst' if you know what I mean. I have some of those gold star readers and maths books that we go through, she has activity books that she goes through herself, and has started copying the numbers and stuff, but I am just unsure if there is more that I could be doing and am not.

Some advice would be great!

Danielle.

Danielle, Vic, Mum of 3

Sign in to follow this topic