Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. How can i get the baby to engage?

How can i get the baby to engage? Rss

Hi, im 38 weeks pregnant and my midwife says that my babies head has not yet engaged! HELP! Does anyone know of any exercises, positions etc that i can try to speed things up?

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

Hi Leanne
I'm also 38 wks & have the same problem. If anyone out there has some answers, I'd love to know. With my first I had a huge glass of port & had a show the next day & had him 3 days later. I'm not sure if it madde any difference but I'm going to try it again tonight.

I've also heard that with 2nd & later pregnancies the head doesn't engage until right when they are read to be born.
Good luck
Tracey

Mum 4 1/2 boy & baby girl 12 months (on Dec 21st)

Hi Leanne

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and this is my first so I don't have any advice from my own experience but I have been told that straddling a chair so that you are facing the back of the chair opens up the pelvis and may get the baby to move down. Also leaning over the back of a chair and swaying your hips side to side and back to front can also help. We got told that in Antenatal class a couple of weeks ago ... not sure how helpful that will be but good luck!! I know I'm certainly going to try it.

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Thanks for your advice, i'll certainly try it!
My midwife told me that if the babies head has not engaged by next week, i'l have to see a doctor and get tests done to see if my pelvis is big enough for the babies head to fit through!
Kind of scary! Hopefully it works!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

Hi Leanne

I know you've had Talana now so did you manage to get her to engage yourself - what happened I noticed you had her about 9 days later.

I'm due in 13 days and bubs hasn't engaged yet. My ob hasn't said anything about it - if he's not worried then i'm not either smile but some tricks might be good to learn

Love steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Seven days to go and head stil hasn't engaged....

any tips -

does this mean I'll go late? does it matter if the head doesn't engage when you go into labour or will i not go until its engaged??

any help would be great

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi, while I was pregnant i too was worried about the baby engageing late but my midwife told me some ladies babies engaged during early labour, especially withe 2nd and so on. Dont stress, one morning you'll proberbly wake up with this heavy feeling down low and that will be that!!!! Thats what happened to me!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Sign in to follow this topic